[SOLVED] What resolution and size of sprites should I use for my first Tower Defense game?

MartinK12

EDIT: [SOLVED] I decided to make few simple sprites with different sizes and few different projects with different resolutions to see the difference and make up my mind.
---
I'd like to hear your opinions about resolution and size of sprites for turrets and enemies for my first Tower Defense game. Game will be similar in enemies and turrets to Kingdom Rush which by design has them smaller.

It'll be my first tower defense game and I'd like to make some simple sprites in GMS2 image editor. I don't need anything fancy but I can't decide about resolution and sizes. I read about it a lot but I don't understand why I shouldn't go for HD resolution or should stick with really low resolution? This makes maps smaller?

I don't want to make bad decisions from day one ;) so I really appreciate some advice from experienced designers like you guys are. Thank You.

Last edited:

The M

I'd say it generally depends on what your goal is. If you're comfortable with drawing HD sprites then you might want that or if you're a pixel artist maybe go for a lower resolution? I think trying out some mock-ups and picking what you feel works best is a great way to go if you're unsure. Or just pick one and run with it. :) You might still want to use some common aspect ratio though.

Something worth considering is what kind of platform you're developing for. Mobile, for example, has a lot smaller screen so you're probably going to have to make the towers slightly larger to accommodate for big fingers and some details might be hard to see.

sylvain_l

what did you use to make your avatar image?
You seem to have your hand on it, so you should just use it.

pixelart, highres, it's a matter of taste and your skills; so you are the one who knows.

just make a very rough mock-up; if it's for PC check how it looks fullscreen in 1920 x 1080 on a screen (that steam 60% display resolution! and if you can just have a look how it scale at the extreme: 4k-1024 x 768). If you are fine with the result, go for it.

same if you target mobile (I just don't know the stats of most used resolutions, so you'll have to look for them)