GML [solved] Wavy / Teared Screen FX Using Surfaces (draw_surface_part)

N

Nikles

Hi folks!
I'm currently experiencing a brain fart and I need your help.

I'm creating a wavy/tearing effect (gif below). How do I make it seamlessly repeat forever? Because as it is right now it just keeps moving all those surfaces outside the display. And they never cycles back.

If I reset the sy (screen y) to 0 it will cycle back but I get a jittery effect (just like the bad loop below)

Here's the code in the create event of my controller:
Code:
sy = 0
Here's the post draw event
Code:
var as = application_surface
var dw = display_width
var dh = display_height

var band_num    = 16
var band_height    = dh / band_num

for (var current_band = 0; current_band < band_num * 2; current_band++)
{
    draw_surface_part(as, 0, 0 + band_height * current_band - sy, dw, band_height, 0 + sin(current_band) * 32 , 0 + band_height * current_band - sy)
}

sy += 4

if (band_height * band_num - sy + band_height) <= 0
    sy = 0
Can you help me implement a seamless loop?

EDIT:
I've edited the above code to highlight what's going on; I'm looping blindly at random here because I can't wrap my head around it. Right now I have zero ideas on how to approach the issue. Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

2Dcube

I'm not sure I fully understand your code.
But I'm thinking you need to reset sy at the exact right moment. Since sy increases with 4 every step,
Code:
if sy > 4 * band_height * band_num
{
    sy = 0
}
? I could be wrong.

Bingdom

Googledom
I'd suggest looking at using mod or %. Here's why.

I haven't fully looked at your code, so I'm going to generalise it.

If you have a value that you know it won't approach to 0 for a long time (but in your case, you're setting it to 0 at a wrong time), don't directly set it as 0 when it surpasses the max value. Once the timer (or offset) becomes greater than the max value, you do timer - maxValue to reset it. This is where modulo can take place (It's a bit different from subtraction though). Modulo divides a number by a number then returns the remainder.

A code example:
Code:
yOffset = (yOffset + speed) % maxValue
In this example, yOffset will never be > maxValue. It would always get wrapped back to the remainder.

PS: This can be done much more efficiently through a shader.

Last edited:
N

Nikles

Thank you. It doesn't really work but I appreciate your suggestions.

There's probably something flawed in the way I'm approaching the problem here but I can't see what.
I might as well try the shader route but I feel like I might be facing the same "rewind jitterness" / "out of synch looping" effect.

TheouAegis

Why not use a sine wave? A sine wave goes from -1 to 1,so you'd multiply the value by how far you want it to deviate. Maybe 16 in your case. I think (not sure) it'd be sin(current_band/band_number)*16

N

Nikles

I am using a sine wave but each band horizontal position must stay fixed (and not oscillate).
So each band has its own horizontal position defined as
Code:
0 + sin(current_band) * 32
(and yes don't consider the "0 + ")

TheouAegis

Oh yeah. My phone cut it off lol.

So does your code draw the surface like

Code:
But then just using sy to essentially shify the surface up?

Try modifying the sin value instead of the surface offset.

sin(current_band + sy) * 32

Then just increase sy by 1 instead of 4. You can loop it back to 0 when it reaches band_num*2.

sy = (sy+1) mod (band_num*2);

N

Nikles

None of the solutions above actually worked but they you all gave me the correct ideas to work with, so thank you all!

This is the correct code
Code:
var as = application_surface
var dw = display_width
var dh = display_height

var band_num    = 16
var band_height    = dh / band_num

for (var current_band = 0; current_band < band_num * 2; current_band++)
{
    draw_surface_part(as, 0, 0 + band_height * current_band - sy, dw, band_height, 0 + sin( (degtorad(360) / band_num ) * current_band) * 32 , 0 + band_height * current_band - sy)
}

sy = (sy + 4) % (band_height * band_num) // Loops here.
As you can see I now use the following code to find the X offset of the bands:
Code:
sin( (degtorad(360) / band_num ) * current_band) * 32
Using degtorad(360) / band_num ensures that I complete a cycle without jitters. So I can then safely loop with (sy + 4) % (band_height * band_num).

I can vary the speed of the waves as well by increasing or decreasing the value I add (or subtract) to sy.

Thank you all again!

EDIT (31st Oct 2019): Quite some time passed since this thread but re-reading it, I noticed that, actually, @Bingdom's solution has been essential. I don't know why I haven't acknowledged it before but that's the main reason I could get this working without the looping jitters. Also, I switched to a shader as per his suggestion as well so... thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator: