• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

3D (Solved) View sizes and ports in 3D

fishfern

Hi Everyone!

Apologies if this is a stupidly obvious question, it's been a while since I have worked with views, so I could be missing something!

I'm currently working on a 3D game to submit to the LoRez game jam, and was hoping to be able to reduce the view size to 64x64 in order to fit inwith the aesthetic of the jam. I was able to do this by using a view, and changing the size of the view in the room to 64x64, however two problems seem to have occurred. The first occurs if I then scale up the port of this in the room to 512x512, as the 3D graphics seem to also scale, so instead of my game being 64x64 scaled up, it becomes a 512x512 view, with all of the graphic clarity that entails. I'm not exactly sure what's going on, because when I have done the same with 2D in the past, it has worked perfectly, especially once I realised how to turn interpolation off! The second issue is that if I leave the port at 64x64 (as I could possibly scale the port up on the hosting page), the 64x64 window the game creates doesn't appear to be square, but appears to be twice as wide as it is high.

Once again, apologies if there is an obvious solution to this, but I can't seem to fix anything on my end, and I couldn't find any info online.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
SImply resize the application surface to 64x64. By default the app surface will be the size of the PORT not the view camera, so by calling surface_resize(64, 64) on game start, you should resolve the issue. For your second issue, you also need to change the window size to be the same size as the port, as by default it will be the room size (as I'm assuming the view cameras and ports you are setting up in code). So, after setting up the port, set the window size and position (you may need to do this in an alarm 2 or 3 steps after setting the port size).