• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM [SOLVED]Value not staying?

P

Phsyrik

So I have a store in my game, and when I buy something, and come back to the store its locked again. I need to make it stay unlocked

Code:
CREATE
         global.orangelocked = 0;                                     

STEP   
        if (device_mouse_check_button(0, mb_left) && global.coincount >= 200 && global.orangelocked == 0)
        {
             global.coincount = global.coincount - 200;  
             global.orangelocked = 1;                           
             global.shiptype = 1;                                 

}

DRAW
      if (global.orangelocked == 0)
     {
          draw_sprite(s_locked200, 0, 30, 60);
     }

else if (global.orangelocked == 1)
     {
          draw_sprite(s_orangestore, 0, 30, 60);
     }
So when I go to a different room, and come back to rm_store the item is locked again. My guess is that its resetting the value of orangelocked to 0, but I dont know how to keep the value 1 after it has been bought.

Simon Gust

You need to make this object persistent. It doesn't matter if it's a global variable if you are going to set it to 0 everytime this object is created because you enter the room.

P

Phsyrik

You need to make this object persistent. It doesn't matter if it's a global variable if you are going to set it to 0 everytime this object is created because you enter the room.
But that makes the sprite in DRAW go from room to room as well.

P

Phsyrik

oh im an idiot. Thanks Simon!

I made a separate object on the first room that set all the variables that stay persistent in the game :)

Simon Gust

Then you need an instance that is persistent, invisible and is in charge of setting all global variables at the start of the game.