• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows [SOLVED] Updates.

W

Wuzzems

GMS 1.4 more or less as far as I could tell, automatically updated. I would usually see when the updates occur but that's it, it asked nothing more of me.

In GMS 2 it asked me to download a newer version, which is fine.My browser opened and I downloaded the newer version. My worry came when it said that it wanted to uninstall the previous version.

My questions are: Will this have an effect on my game and settings, and is there a way that GMS 2 can download the updates automatically.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
It uninstalls the prior version before installing the new one - installer contains everything that it needs to set up the new files. No files are lost. GMS1 updater does the same, as the status messages in it reveal.

I assume that the move from auto-updater to a downloadable installer was made because any kind of auto-updater is prone to failure during service interruptions (be that user's internet connection, or a surge due to a new stable update rolling out and everyone trying to update at the same time).