[Solved] Two Strange Windows Issues

R

robproctor83

Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows anything about these issues with Windows.

1) Drifting - If I am in windowed mode and I click on the windows title bar the application will appear to freeze but objects that were moving will continue in whatever direction they were moving but they bypass collisions for some reason. What would cause this? My concern is cheating as you could just drift all the way to the end of the map.

2) Scaling - It seems that if the windows 10 scaling is enabled that window sizing is affected by vsync. If I have scaling enabled in windows and I am in full screen and I enable vsync with display_reset the window size get's shifted and out of scale. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
1) Drifting - If I am in windowed mode and I click on the windows title bar the application will appear to freeze but objects that were moving will continue in whatever direction they were moving but they bypass collisions for some reason. What would cause this? My concern is cheating as you could just drift all the way to the end of the map.
This is because the window isn't being rendered while windows thinks you are moving it and is a normal effect. Personally, I ALWAYS use the check "os_is_paused()" to prevent any issue, as it will be triggered by things like this or the window being minimised. So with that check, I can pause the game automatically to prevent it running while the window is being manipulated.

2) Scaling - It seems that if the windows 10 scaling is enabled that window sizing is affected by vsync. If I have scaling enabled in windows and I am in full screen and I enable vsync with display_reset the window size get's shifted and out of scale. Any thoughts?
This is also expected behaviour as the display_reset function that enables vsync also resets all HOW the display is showing the game. Normally, I would have a script that sets up all the viewports, cameras, GUI, app surface, etc... and then call it whenever it is required (like after changing the vsync).

R

robproctor83

This is because the window isn't being rendered while windows thinks you are moving it and is a normal effect. Personally, I ALWAYS use the check "os_is_paused()" to prevent any issue, as it will be triggered by things like this or the window being minimised. So with that check, I can pause the game automatically to prevent it running while the window is being manipulated.

This is also expected behaviour as the display_reset function that enables vsync also resets all HOW the display is showing the game. Normally, I would have a script that sets up all the viewports, cameras, GUI, app surface, etc... and then call it whenever it is required (like after changing the vsync).
Thank you Nocturne, your answer was exactly what I was hoping for. I'll update my project accordingly.