• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE [SOLVED] Two Issues With The Debugger

I'm not sure if either of these things have work arounds, but these are two things I've always found inconvenient about the debugger:

1) After reaching an error, the IDE highlights the line of code where the error occurred within the debugger, which is very inconvenient because now I have to go look for that line of code in the code itself, since I can't modify the code in the debugger directly. The way I get around this is that I do a global search for the line where the error occurred, and if that line is too generic, I actually have to search through my objects and code to find the line manually. It would be really nice if I could just modify the code directly in the debugger, or at least have a button or something to allow me to jump to this line in the code so I can modify it there. Is there any way around this that I'm missing?

2) Sometimes, when I modify my code while debugging, there is this message that pops up like "The source code in [file name] has been modified and cannot be debugged". This message is never useful and is very annoying because it always pops up as you're typing in a quick fix to a small error, and then it stops you and you have to move your mouse to press "ok", and then click back where you wanted to type. Is there any way to disable this message from ever coming up at all?

If neither of these are currently possible, I guess this is feedback on the IDE, as I believe these would greatly improve my workflow.

Roldy

I'm not sure if either of these things have work arounds, but these are two things I've always found inconvenient about the debugger:

1) After reaching an error, the IDE highlights the line of code where the error occurred within the debugger, which is very inconvenient because now I have to go look for that line of code in the code itself, since I can't modify the code in the debugger directly. The way I get around this is that I do a global search for the line where the error occurred, and if that line is too generic, I actually have to search through my objects and code to find the line manually. It would be really nice if I could just modify the code directly in the debugger, or at least have a button or something to allow me to jump to this line in the code so I can modify it there. Is there any way around this that I'm missing?

2) Sometimes, when I modify my code while debugging, there is this message that pops up like "The source code in [file name] has been modified and cannot be debugged". This message is never useful and is very annoying because it always pops up as you're typing in a quick fix to a small error, and then it stops you and you have to move your mouse to press "ok", and then click back where you wanted to type. Is there any way to disable this message from ever coming up at all?

If neither of these are currently possible, I guess this is feedback on the IDE, as I believe these would greatly improve my workflow.
AFAIK the debugger cannot resume after an edit and it will not do any JIT compiling or allow Edit and Continue. Someone may correct me if I am wrong. Unless you want to use GMLive, then simply stop the debugger, and then edit the code right there where the debugger stopped. You can edit code in the debugger code windows if the debugger is not running. No need to try and find the code elsewhere.

Feel free to give yoyo a suggestion. This forum is not the channel for making suggestions known to YYG.

AFAIK the debugger cannot resume after an edit and it will not do any JIT compiling or allow Edit and Continue. Someone may correct me if I am wrong. Unless you want to use GMLive, then simply stop the debugger, and then edit the code right there where the debugger stopped. You can edit code in the debugger code windows if the debugger is not running. No need to try and find the code elsewhere.

Feel free to give yoyo a suggestion. This forum is not the channel for making suggestions known to YYG.
Oh perfect! I somehow never realized this. I guess I've always been trying to edit the code while the game was still running, so I just have to get into the habit of stopping the game before editing. I wasn't looking to try to resume the code, so this solution is all I needed, thank you.

For me, I just press stop and then do the edit in the debugger where it's still highlighted. Since you can't ignore the bug nor do live coding, it doesn't really change anything if you stop the game, really.
Not sure why it doesn't automatically stop, in fact, since the debugger kind of "saves" it's last state anyways.