• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

[SOLVED] Trying to upload Linux build to Steam

C

Charyb

Never made a GameMaker:Studio game for linux before, let alone also uploading one to Steam for Linux.

I have no idea what I need to create / upload to the SteamPipe.

Now first off, I've made a .zip folder, inside:
Game Name (file, no extension)
assets (folder)

Inside assets folder:
game.ini
game.unx
icon.png
mus_test.ogg
options.ini
splash.png (splash screen)
steam_api.dll

It also did the same on Linux, however on Linux the icon is appearing blank on the game name file with no extension, though icon.png looks fine.

On Linux it also made a TakeThyThrone.desktop file, TakeThyThrone.zip file, and TakeThyThrone_install.sh file. Typing ./TakeThyThrone_install.sh on the terminal just prints out "Done", nothing happens.

The other option is skipping the .zip and making a .deb file, but I'm not sure if that's what I should upload since that's an installer file. The .deb file unfortunately doesn't do anything (but maybe it's supposed to since this is Steam?)

What exactly do I upload to Steam? Is there some kind of command I have to do to launch this file with no extension? the _install.sh file does nothing. I think that's the case since this is Steam and you just need to include a launch command option in the Steam Developer manager on the browser. But I have no idea what command I need to use to launch the game on Steam.

EDIT:

Aside from making a .zip/.deb, I also tried debugging it straight through GMS on Linux. It launches, but the Steam overlay doesn't popup so I'm assuming it's not even getting launched through Steam.

CONTENTS of .sh file:
SCRIPT_DIR=$(readlink -f $(dirname ${BASH_SOURCE[0]}))
cd $SCRIPT_DIR
YYAppName=takethythrone
NEW=$SCRIPT_DIR/$YYAppName

#set permissions
chmod +x takethythrone
chmod +x $YYAppName.desktop

#set the path in the .desktop file
OLD="YYAppExePath"
echo path to exe: $NEW
sed "s%$OLD%$NEW%g" $YYAppName.desktop > ~/Desktop/$YYAppName.desktop
chmod +x ~/Desktop/$YYAppName.desktop

#move to desktop
#mv -f $YYAppName/$YYAppName.desktop ~/Desktop

echo Done
EDIT: Got it to work. Uploading requires making a new depot for Steam and also I used the .zip.

Once I enabled Steam on Linux I got a run.sh file and made that the executable command for the Steam launch option.

Last edited by a moderator: