• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE [solved] Trial version question

B

Befly

Im using a trial version of GMS2. Is d3d feature in there or i have to buy the desktop version? When i try to d3d_start() it marks it as a variable

gnysek

There's no d3d function in both, as some of the functions are renamed/changed/removed. Try searching gpu_xxx functions for more info.

B

Befly

Thankyou. Anyway, i still cant find a single tutorial how to use 3D in gms2

gnysek

Nobody care about real 3D, cause GMS have just a several functions for it and is made for 3D generally. For 3D - use Unity for example :)

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
Nobody care about real 3D, cause GMS have just a several few functions for it and is made for 3D 2D generally. For 3D - use Unity for example :)
Fixed that for you. ;)

Also, note that 3D in GMS2 requires an intimate knowledge of GML, 3D programming in general and a fair bit of mathematics. So it goes something like this: If you're prepared for 3D, you won't need a tutorial; if you need a tutorial, you're not prepared for 3D. The functionality is available to those who know how to make use of it. That aside, GMS2 is new and we don't really have many 3D users around anymore. Those who are might not have the time or interest to write tutorials. YYG have repeatedly said that GM is an engine meant for 2D games, so you shouldn't really expect official tutorials or guides either at the moment.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
All of the functionality from the d3d_ functions is still present and available and you can see how to implement them with the new functions if you look at the compatibility scripts (in the c:\ProgramData\Cache\runtimes\<runtime-directory>\lib\compatibility.zip file, look in the d3d directory of that)

While GMS2 is primarily a 2D engine and we do very little to help implementing a 3D scene it is perfectly possible to do so.

Russell

B

Befly

The goal i want to achieve is the 3D environment with 2D sprites with top down view. So i need only 2D collisions but 3D models rendering and camera movement. Im just saying that d3d function from 1.4 was just perfect for me. So im probably im going to try to find the d3d functions OR unity 5 wich was in my plans anyway. In any case thankyou, that was a great feedback!