• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows [SOLVED] Tower Defense Weapon Selection System

D

DarthTenebris

Hello there my fellow programmers,

I would like your opinion. How would you make a tower defense weapon selection system? Personally I've used a scroll system, where you scroll your mouse to select different kinds of weapons to build. To build a weapon, I get the index where the mouse is currently, and use that to determine what to build. However, when it comes to interpreting it on the screen, I feel like drawing text is a bit ugly.

So the question is, how would you make a tower defense weapon selection system and display it to the player?

Thank you for your time and opinion :)

I'm not quite sure what part of this you're asking about but...

Come up with symbols to represent the basic stats, like damage, cooldown, etc. You can probably have a symbol that shows what type of enemy it is most effective against, if you classify enemies in a way that works like that, for example, if you had different elements for each enemy. Then have a 5 word description of what it does.

This image is obviously just a sketch, but it should give you an idea of what I mean.

D

DarthTenebris

@Cloaked Games Thank you for your opinion, but not exactly what I needed. I'll explain in a paragraph.

Say you had 5 different kinds of weapons. There is limited amount of space on the screen. I would like to display:
1) Your current amount of gold
2) Your currently selected weapon
3) The price of that weapon
4) Your current wave
5) Time to the next wave
Additionally, if the player has his mouse over a special kind of weapon, I would like to display these as well:
6) The health of that weapon
7) Current level of that weapon
Otherwise, don't display it (display num. 1 to 5 only).

^^There is limited amount of space on the screen.
So how would you manage to display all that info?

Thank you for your time and opinion :)

My answer still stands. The trick is to represent as much as you can with images instead of words. Current gold, weapon price, weapon health, and weapon level can be displayed with a symbol and a number after it. Currently selected weapon can have its own picture and the name displayed above it. Current wave and next wave can probably be like: "Wave: X, Next Wave: X seconds".

Maybe that's not exactly what you want, but that should give you an idea.

D

DarthTenebris

Thank you for your help!
Gave me a pretty good idea. Gonna be working on it now. :)

Your help is highly appreciated :)