• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

[solved] The lines issue between tiles seems inconsistent

I'm back after more two months of having this line between tiles problem. The problem was solved, yet it hasn't. I spent a long time adjusting my tileset and redoing my tiles to have a 1 pixel border to allow bleeding / smearing to avoid lines in between tiles. The problem still exists and its inconsistent.

I would add a 2 pixel border, but I don't think it would fix the problem.

To help illustrate things, I've made the color smear dark red. Sometimes I see the smear while other times the missing line still exists:

Illustrated below are bright red lines to outline the seams:

The same area on a different play through results in no red bleed lines:

Its the same tileset.

J

jackhigh24

yes thats normal from what i have experienced before i learnt to use a 3 pixel border for the texel

Bingdom

Googledom
Things that can help
  • Integer ratio between the view size and port.
  • floor() camera coordinates.
  • Increase pixel border on the texture page settings.

TrunX

In my case it helped to render a pixel art game in the original resolution and then draw the application surface stretched by hand.

Yikes 3 pixel border? But its inconsistent. Sometimes its transparent, other times its not.

The tiles have a 1 pixel border that is now pink to make sure they stand out. The problem is sometimes they have the pink bleed other times its transparent.

This gif is a little messy... so here's a video:

I think I know what Catboy / TrunX is suggesting, the game is 430 x 270. view_wport and view_wview are 430 x 270. It still has the same issue:

In this case they're clear, but not pink as the bleed lines are pink. But here they're pink:

So that's the inconsistency I'm complaining about.

Things that can help
  • Integer ratio between the view size and port.
  • floor() camera coordinates.
  • Increase pixel border on the texture page settings.
I have all of those. The first two have been in all my games and they seem to eliminate the issue with all but this game.

I usually do floor(view_xview) and everything has a floor(x) on its draw so there are no sub pixels. The view size and port are the same, that's all setup. In fact its literally view_wport = view_wview. Even when the window size is true to the view_wview it still gives this problem.

Last edited:
yes thats normal from what i have experienced before i learnt to use a 3 pixel border for the texel
I did a 3 pixel bleed and it doesn't seem to affect the issue.

For the sake of visibility, I turned the background aqua and the bleed is pink. Some tiles in game have the pink bleed, others are just transparent despite they all have the bleed:

TrunX

That's really strange. My tileset doesn't have pixel bleeding at all in it and scaling the application surface by hand fixed a similar problem.
Do you stretch the single coloured blue tiles to fill bigger areas? Maybe you could take a look into the room.gmx file if these tiles have some strange coordinate or scale values. like ".99999" as a decimal part.

That's really strange. My tileset doesn't have pixel bleeding at all in it and scaling the application surface by hand fixed a similar problem.
Do you stretch the single coloured blue tiles to fill bigger areas? Maybe you could take a look into the room.gmx file if these tiles have some strange coordinate or scale values. like ".99999" as a decimal part.
Nothing is stretched in game. This is an entirely new area just to fix this single problem and its a problem everywhere. Even with the white tiles, but those are tougher to tell.

I think this all may be related to another problem where the texture pages that all the graphics get put onto by GameMaker are forcing some sprites to get trimmed, so I wonder now if its doing the same to my backgrounds. Even scrunching them by one pixel or cutting something off.

I have detailed that problem in this other thread:

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...close-together-while-stretching-others.43411/

So now going into the texture page generated by GameMaker, I can clearly see the difference. The background piece is 1 tile wide (16px) with a 3 pixel border.

On the texture page the background piece is 5 pixels wide. So the background piece is getting stretched, unless this is common and I've just never noticed.

From the look of the backgrounds (not sprites) has a 2 pixel bleed and then a 2 pixel gap between anything else. To test this theory, I made some notches...

The notches:

How they are on the texture page. The notches are shown on the opposite side. I guess this explains why backgrounds are loopable:

So at this point I'm left to conclude that when the same tile is used, it loops allowing for the pink line. When the tile is discontinued it has a transparent line despite having a bleed of 3 pixels.

Thanks for the inspiration to talk this out!

Last edited:

TrunX

The blog post is already old and it seems you have tried all the tricks but for the sake of completeness: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/3/seamless-tile-scaling-in-gamemaker

EDIT: Oh and are you sure 430x270 is your native resolution? Because 480x270 seems more common. (16:9 and perfect scaling on FullHD)

EDIT2: From a second look on you texturepage I noticed that you haven't allied pixel bleeding on your single tiles. You have to do it by hand or use an external tool to convert your tileset. (see the linked blog post).

Nevertheless this problem should not appear if you render the game in the native resolution as it has something to do with scaling as far as I know. Maybe it makes sense to report it as a bug.

Last edited:
The blog post is already old and it seems you have tried all the tricks but for the sake of completeness: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/3/seamless-tile-scaling-in-gamemaker

EDIT: Oh and are you sure 430x270 is your native resolution? Because 480x270 seems more common. (16:9 and perfect scaling on FullHD)

EDIT2: From a second look on you texturepage I noticed that you haven't allied pixel bleeding on your single tiles. You have to do it by hand or use an external tool to convert your tileset. (see the linked blog post).

Nevertheless this problem should not appear if you render the game in the native resolution as it has something to do with scaling as far as I know. Maybe it makes sense to report it as a bug.
270? I must have been out of it when I wrote that. 426.66 (430) x 240. My bad.

The bleeding is the pink color. I put notches into the bleeding part to understand that the texture pages adds its own bleeding to loop backgrounds.

Anyway... turns out the problem was caused by my other problem. Sprites were getting placed too close to one another on the texture page, so it misaligned everything afterward including the backgrounds. You can see here one of the sprites is encroaching on another sprite:

Putting an a 1% opaque color into the problem sprites fixed the encroaching issue and fixed this inconsistent line issue.