• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

[solved] Steam achievement for running an Android game does not unlock

N

nine

I realise I'll probably come across as an idiot for asking about this, but there's been an issue recently for some reason where one of the actual achievements for GM1.4 on Steam doesn't unlock. I've set up paths for both the Android SDK and NDK and have managed to run a blank game on several different devices, however that achievement still hasn't unlocked.

I would like to know either if there is a workaround for this still, even though I realise support for 1.4 has ended.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MishMash

What has Android got to do with this? Steam is for desktop games? Given that when you play the game on PC, steam achievements use the user ID of the user who is logged in on that machine, I can't see how this could logically work if you run the game on android. I know there is a Steam app on android, but I can't imagine the game's app will have visibility of this, and thus even if you have a steam app id set when running on android, I don't think you would be able to register the achievement.

rIKmAN

What has Android got to do with this? Steam is for desktop games? Given that when you play the game on PC, steam achievements use the user ID of the user who is logged in on that machine, I can't see how this could logically work if you run the game on android. I know there is a Steam app on android, but I can't imagine the game's app will have visibility of this, and thus even if you have a steam app id set when running on android, I don't think you would be able to register the achievement.
I think he means you get an achievement (from 1.4) for compiling a game to Android (like you get achievements in games) - but it doesn't unlock.

M

MishMash

I think he means you get an achievement (from 1.4) for compiling a game to Android (like you get achievements in games) - but it doesn't unlock.
Oh my bad, forgot about the Steam version of GMS, was assuming that he was making a cross platform game for PC and android, and you got an achievement if you played the android version while owning the PC one or something :p

Posh Indie

That Guy
If this is what is meant, maybe try actually compiling the game as an APK (Not just testing the game on devices). Sounds like they may want an actual signed APK to be produced (Which would make sense. The goal is not to get a participation trophy, it is to finish something and possibly release it).

Last edited:
N

nine

If this is what is meant, maybe try actually compiling the game as an APK (Not just testing the game on devices). Sounds like they may want an actual signed APK to be produced (Which would make sense. The goal is not to get a participation trophy, it is to finish something and possibly release it).
Have tried that as well, still nothing.

Again, I do apologise if this thread seemed rather dumb in the first place, though I have used GameMaker in the past to learn some aspects of game development and I have been doing quite well with that. It's just that I figured I might as well get the rest of these to consider the legacy version all "done", as much as they may just be useless little participation trophies (for example, Run iOS doesn't even require working bundle IDs or target Mac information, random nonsense is just enough). I just struggle to understand why this one inexplicably won't unlock at all when no change has been made to the IDE and people have managed to unlock it up to a month or so after the release of the final beta.

N

nine

Managed to solve it eventually by downgrading to an earlier Steam build of GM:S via Steam depots. Presumably, this mini web server is what GM was always looking for when it came to checking if the game has actually been run on Android so it could update achievement stats, but this has long been absent in the latest version.