• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

[SOLVED]sprite acting funny

H

hazardousHumanoid

I don't know if its a resolution thing or its just because the pixels are kinda thin but in game my player's sprite cut off in animation...

when walking up the player's right arm is cut off, and when walking right the shown eye is smaller than what it should be, but when the player is very close to the right edge of the screen the sprite appears to be normal

EDIT: I don't know if this helps but turning on 'interpolating colors between pixels' fixes the problem but it makes everything look ugly :/

Here are some pics

RIGHT ARM CUT OFF:
error1.png

EYE IS SMALLER:
error2.png

ACTING NORMAL:
error3.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Roderick

It's almost certainly a scaling problem.

Are you using views? If so, check the view size and port, and make sure that whichever is bigger is evenly divisible by the smaller.

H

hazardousHumanoid

It's almost certainly a scaling problem.

Are you using views? If so, check the view size and port, and make sure that whichever is bigger is evenly divisible by the smaller.
I disable the views and while I already had keep aspect ratio checked I disable it just to see if it was the problem, and it seems that without views it get worse with parts of the player disappear and aspect ratio doesn't help nor make it worse

J

JoltJab

if you disable the use of views,the view in room and port on screen become the size of the room. If the room is bigger than your computer monitor, then it will be scaled down to fit on your screen. Could that be the problem?

H

hazardousHumanoid

if you disable the use of views,the view in room and port on screen become the size of the room. If the room is bigger than your computer monitor, then it will be scaled down to fit on your screen. Could that be the problem?
Room Width: 640x480
View: 320x240
Port: 160x120

My resolution:
1920x1080

:D I hope no one has that kind of resolution anymore!

J

JoltJab

The view and port settings aren't used if you don't have the "Enable the use of Views" box checked. So those settings are ignored. With that box checked off, the actual view in room is set to the room width. The port is the same, but limited to the size of your monitor (though that part doesn't seem to be a problem).

Dumb question, but the game isn't in full screen when you press play right?

H

hazardousHumanoid

The view and port settings aren't used if you don't have the "Enable the use of Views" box checked. So those settings are ignored. With that box checked off, the actual view in room is set to the room width. The port is the same, but limited to the size of your monitor (though that part doesn't seem to be a problem).

Dumb question, but the game isn't in full screen when you press play right?
for the screen shots they are, but when I disable views and aspect ratio I tested them in both fullscreen and window and still same effect

J

JoltJab

If you were willing, would you be able to send me the file so I could look at it? Otherwise I don't know what else to try.

H

hazardousHumanoid

I don't know if this helps but turning on 'interpolating colors between pixels' fixes the problem but it makes everything look ugly :/