• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker [SOLVED] Spelunky-Esk level generation.

D

Dusk_Ealain

Howdy, it's me again. I recently watched a video explaining how Derek Yu's indie game "Spelunky" developed its levels. To run it down.
  • It goes through a 16x16 grid of the level
  • Makes sure that there's a free path between entrance and exit
  • Fills the grid with various pre-made rooms, making sure any special rooms like Altars are off the main road.
  • Fills certain blocks/spaces with gold, item boxes, enemies, extra blocks, etc.
And that's about it. Now I would like to do this for a top-down game similar to that of Gauntlet (Slayer Edition) or The Binding of Isaac. Any ideas on how I would achieve this procedural generation? I have watched a tutorial for GMS2 but it didn't work and my rooms were just blank, empty spaces.

sylvain_l

there is no difference, top-down or sidescrooling views the "algorithm" of creating the room should look pretty the same. (instead of going down, you go south).

sounds more to me like you have a bug in your implementation of the tutorial. (if it worked in the tutorial, it should work for you too except if you make something wrong while following it or if the tutorial exploit some "bug" of a previous version of GMS2 or there is a new bug in last version of GMS2)

D

Dusk_Ealain

there is no difference, top-down or sidescrooling views the "algorithm" of creating the room should look pretty the same. (instead of going down, you go south).

sounds more to me like you have a bug in your implementation of the tutorial. (if it worked in the tutorial, it should work for you too except if you make something wrong while following it or if the tutorial exploit some "bug" of a previous version of GMS2 or there is a new bug in last version of GMS2)
That's what I'm thinking is that it has to do with an update as the video is rather old now.