SOLVED [Solved] Sound not playing at all

Solus

Hello, I've run into a strange problem that I've never encountered before in GMS1. I simply added in a sound file and told an object to play it, but it wouldn't. It won't even play the Windows error noise. The sound level for the application is all the way up in my volume mixer, I've checked the project folder and the sound files are all there and functional, they play in the sound preview, I've opened up other Game Maker projects and their sounds work fine, I've used both audio_play_sound() and sound_play() and neither work.

I've been working in GM since GM4 and I've never encountered a problem like this. Has anyone ever experienced this? I wanted to possibly get an answer from the community before I take this to the Yoyogames help desk.

obscene

Possibly the sound is in an audiogroup and you haven't loaded that group? Your debugger would throw an error message "audiogroup not loaded" if that were the case. Other than that, make sure you master_gain is at 1 and it wouldn't hurt to set the gain for the sound to 1 (audio_sound_gain()) as well.

Solus

Possibly the sound is in an audiogroup and you haven't loaded that group? Your debugger would throw an error message "audiogroup not loaded" if that were the case. Other than that, make sure you master_gain is at 1 and it wouldn't hurt to set the gain for the sound to 1 (audio_sound_gain()) as well.
Seems like it's still not working. It's probably just some strange bug. I'll just port my current project over to a new one and see if that works. Thanks so much for trying to help!

Solus

For anyone else with this problem, I managed to fix it by uninstalling GM:S and reinstalling. I still have no idea what caused the issue to begin with. Make sure your project files aren't being saved in the Steam directory for GM:S or they'll be deleted along with the program itself.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If you use GMS1.x, you could have a mismatch where the project is flagged as using the new audio_* system, but you use the legacy sound_* functions... or vice versa. The functions will work in either case, as in they don't cause errors... but they won't produce any audible audio unless the sound system they're using is actually running. (GMS2 scrapped the legacy sound system entirely so you either will get "unknown function called" errors or working sound when there's a mismatch)