• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Shaders [SOLVED] Shader not working on iOS

D

djrain

I'm trying to use this bloom shader for my iOS game:
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/4729/simple-bloom-shader

It seems to work alright when I test it from the IDE, but it doesn't seem to have any effect at all when I run it on my iPhone. What could be the problem? Xcode shows a few errors like "use of undeclared identifier" but I don't know if that's actually a problem or how to fix it.

This is the fragment shader code:
Code:
varying vec2 v_vTexcoord;
varying vec4 v_vColour;
const float blurSize = 1.0/512.0;
uniform float intensity = 1.0;

void main()
{
   vec4 sum = vec4(0);

// take nine samples, with the distance blurSize between them
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x - 4.0*blurSize, v_vTexcoord.y)) * 0.05;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x - 3.0*blurSize, v_vTexcoord.y)) * 0.09;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x - 2.0*blurSize, v_vTexcoord.y)) * 0.12;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x - blurSize, v_vTexcoord.y)) * 0.15;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x, v_vTexcoord.y)) * 0.16;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x + blurSize, v_vTexcoord.y)) * 0.15;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x + 2.0*blurSize, v_vTexcoord.y)) * 0.12;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x + 3.0*blurSize, v_vTexcoord.y)) * 0.09;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x + 4.0*blurSize, v_vTexcoord.y)) * 0.05;

// take nine samples, with the distance blurSize between them
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x, v_vTexcoord.y - 4.0*blurSize)) * 0.05;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x, v_vTexcoord.y - 3.0*blurSize)) * 0.09;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x, v_vTexcoord.y - 2.0*blurSize)) * 0.12;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x, v_vTexcoord.y - blurSize)) * 0.15;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x, v_vTexcoord.y)) * 0.16;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x, v_vTexcoord.y + blurSize)) * 0.15;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x, v_vTexcoord.y + 2.0*blurSize)) * 0.12;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x, v_vTexcoord.y + 3.0*blurSize)) * 0.09;
   sum += texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, vec2(v_vTexcoord.x, v_vTexcoord.y + 4.0*blurSize)) * 0.05;

//increase blur with intensity!
   gl_FragColor = sum * intensity + texture2D(gm_BaseTexture, v_vTexcoord);
}
And then I just have an object that disables drawing of the app surface, sets the bloom shader, and draws the app surface. Any ideas?

Not sure if this is the reason:
I think intensiry should either be a const instead of uniform or if you want it to be uniform you cant set it to anything from inside the shader. So either

const float intensity = 1.0;

Or

uniform float intensity; // needs to be passed into the shader

D

djrain

Not sure if this is the reason:
I think intensiry should either be a const instead of uniform or if you want it to be uniform you cant set it to anything from inside the shader. So either

const float intensity = 1.0;

Or

uniform float intensity; // needs to be passed into the shader
You're right, I just needed to change intensity to a const. It's working now. Thanks!