• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM [SOLVED] Setting up for YYC? Where do I get SDK and Visual Studio?

P

Pere

1.It's not clear what version of Visual Studio and SDK are needed to run YYC in GM:S 1.4.
2.It's not clear where to get them.

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/windows-yyc-on-windows-10.2051/ In this thread some people say you need Visual Studio 2012, and some think it's 2015.
https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216753748-GM-S-1-4-Required-SDKs But in this official requirements article it says you need VS 2013. (I tried to download it but it seemed not to be available in the official Microsoft page)
It also says you wight want "Steamworks SDK 1.35a", but i don't know if that is the same as the "Windows SDK" that the YYC settings ask for or an unrelated thing... And then in the UWP requirements it says you need "Win 10 SDK 10.0.14393.0" and "10.0.10240.0", and a guy in the thread I linked said that the tools for UWP work for YYC too... so I wonder what the hell should I get?

YYC should be easy to set up because it improves performance a lot, so I think there should be a place that clearly explains it so that more devs would do it.

rIKmAN

Sign up for a MS Dev Essentials account (it’s free) and use the version listed in the guide which is VS 2013. Once you sign up and sign in you will be able to download.

Steamworks is only required if you are releasing on Steam, and the UWP stuff is only required if you own the UWP module.

P

Pere

Sign up for a MS Dev Essentials account (it’s free) and use the version listed in the guide which is VS 2013. Once you sign up and sign in you will be able to download.

Steamworks is only required if you are releasing on Steam, and the UWP stuff is only required if you own the UWP module.
Thanks, that worked.

For anyone reading who wants to set up YYC:
-go to https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/older-downloads/ select 2013, select download. You'll have to log in with a Microsoft account. Then if you get the "Sorry, we couldn't find any downloads for you" page, select "please join Visual Studio Dev Essentials" and after you sign up it'll take you to the downloads. Download Visual Studio Community 2013 with Update 5 (select the exe download). Then install it (you can uncheck all optional content).
-Then in GM:S go to Preferences/Windows. Click "Check Windows SDK". If it says "SDK directory does not exist", you'll have to find the SDK location. I had to change it from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1". If it says "Batch file not found at Visual Studio path" you'll have to find a .bat file in your VS installation folder. for me it was "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat".

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pere

The results are pretty awesome. My performance doubled instantly, from 800 fps_real in normal Windows mode to 1600 fps_real with YYC. Highly recommended for final builds (but not so for developing builds cause it takes longer to compile).

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon Gust

Doesn't seem to work for me.
When I click on check SDK, it says "Visual Studio ok", which it probably should.
But when I run my project in YYC, it cannot compile.
Some messages appear in the compile window.

Reading project file....System.FormatException: Die Eingabezeichenfolge hat das falsche Format.
bei System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
bei System.Number.ParseDouble(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
bei System.Double.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
bei System.Convert.ToDouble(String value, IFormatProvider provider)
bei GMAssetCompiler.GMSound..ctor( _a, String _gmxName)
bei ...ctor(XmlDocument _doc, String _baseDir)

I thought I'd try it on a new, fresh project and the error does not appear but...
upload_2019-6-28_18-16-12.png

My version is
Game Maker Studio v1.4.1804

Any Ideas?

Simon Gust

I got a laptop and now got the same error message as you when I tried to set up YYC! Did you find any solution to it?
I have tried at least 3 times and multiple attemps and everything, no luck. At this point, I just don't care enough so I am waiting until I get GM:S 2, but I don't know when I'm going to switch.

P

Pere

LOL I literally just got it to work!!! I just reopened the Visual Studio installer and clicked on "Repair" and it did its thing and restarted the computer and now for some reason it works! You should try redownloading the installer and doing this repair thing if you haven't. (but my error was a little different: the pop-up message was the same but the console didn't have the errors that you had if I remember correctly)