• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

[SOLVED] Setting Game Options

J

jt_guevara

Hello everyone, great to meet you all.

I have a question on setting options for my game, such as difficulty and starting level. I have two rooms, one for the main menu and the other for the options menu. Inside the options menu, I have a control object called option_select_obj, which represents the cursor. Inside option_select_obj create event, I've initialized two global variables for the difficulty and the starting level with these values:

global.difficulty = 1;
global.level = 1;

These values can be changed, of course. I can take care of that on my own.

My question is, where can you initialize these values if a player just goes straight to start the game and avoids the options menu? Basically, set a default difficulty and level. I've tried to initialize them inside the main menu but that method cancels out the options changes each time I return there.

obscene

The first object in your game should be some type of main controller object where all global variables are initialized. You can even put these all in a script and call the script from your first room's creation code.

J

jt_guevara

I've done exactly as you said. It worked! Thank you for the help!

Consider this thread solved!

D

dj_midknight

I declare all of my globals on the splash screen so before anything has a chance to touch them they have already been set to the default value. For other I have gone as far as to create macros to hold that value so in the even that I have changed the global, but need to reset to the oritinal value I can just reference the macro instead.