• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker [SOLVED] Scaling the GUI correctly to different screen sizes

S

Spencer S

Everything below works for my screen, including the GUI functions (my screen is 2736x1824).

Room Creation Code:
Code:
view_visible[0] = true;
view_enabled = true;

// Variable used to change gui ratio and/or gui aspect ratio. if this is changed, this same variable needs to be changed in the Create event in obj_equipped_inventory_gui as well.
guiAspectScaling = 0.1;

camera = camera_create_view(0, 0, 20480, 15360, 0, obj_player, -1, -1, 10240, 7680);
var viewmat = matrix_build_lookat(640, 240, -10, 640, 240, 0, 0, 1, 0);
var projmat = matrix_build_projection_ortho(640, 480, 1.0, 32000.0);
camera_set_view_mat(camera, viewmat);
camera_set_proj_mat(camera, projmat);

view_set_camera(0, camera);

display_set_gui_size(display_get_width(), display_get_height());
display_set_gui_maximise(guiAspectScaling, guiAspectScaling, 0, 0);
Just as an FYI, I use the guiAspectScaling to convert into a multiplier called guiScalingVector which is then multiplied against all object positions and sizes. For example, instead of drawing a sprite on the GUI later to (display_get_width() / 2), I draw the sprite to ((display_get_width() / 2) * guiScalingVector), which then correctly puts the drawing in the middle of the screen.

The problem is that when I run my game on any other monitor with a different resolution, the game itself is still drawn fine, but the GUI is drawn incorrectly. Basically, its just the display_set_gui_size() and display_set_gui_maximise() functions that are giving me a problem. I've tried messing with resolution ratios, and I've watched Pixelated Pope's youtube tutorials on cameras, as well as Shaun Spalding, but I can't seem to get it down.

What I need is some way to get the aspect ratio and correctly change the GUI so that everything still draws correctly.

B

bilouw

I'm currently making my GUI with theses tutorials too! What is the problem with you GUI? Are you sure that the GUI size is always at the same size of your resolution screen? Also, Do you use image in your GUI? If yes, you need to resize these image in fonction of the GUI resolution, and all the assets need to be draw dynamically in fonction of your screen width/height.

Edit : Why are you using display_set_gui_size et after, display_set_gui_maximise? You should only use one of them.

S

Spencer S

Ahhhh, that was my issue. I was trying to use display_gui_set_size, but display_set_gui_maximise was screwing me up. Removing the second function worked just as intended.