• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE [Solved] Randomly Select Tile When Using a Tileset

Trisuniel

So I'm fairly new in using the tileset editor in GameMaker Studio 2 and trying to make the most out of it. I was wondering if there is a way to be able to have it so let's say you want to place a grass tile down, it can select from a list of grass tiles that can all work together. That way the tiles don't look like they are repeating and look more natural. I'm not talking about auto tiling, I already know how that works.

If not, I'll probably just code something to convert everything in game but it would be nice to be able to do said thing in the editor so I can see how it would before.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I was wondering if there is a way to be able to have it so let's say you want to place a grass tile down, it can select from a list of grass tiles that can all work together.
<snip>
If not, I'll probably just code something to convert everything in game...
You can't "program" the IDE to make random resource selections as you're building the tile layer. But as you suggested, you can convert the tiles once you've added them to your layer. There are various ways to scramble the tiles within a set. Or replace a set with another. Or you could lay out your level with a "dummy" object, and then have those instances replace themselves with a tile, chosen randomly from a tileset when the game starts.

Trisuniel

I was planning to scramble the tiles randomly with a matching set of other tiles that go well together if was nothing built into the tileset editor that would do it for me. Anyway thanks for letting me know.