• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE [solved] Questions re: Mac development

N

nz0

Good morning,

I'm looking into buying the Game Maker Studio 2 Developer version for Desktop. I have a couple questions and most of the info I'm finding is somewhat out of date or incomplete.

1. Do I need an Apple Developer account to compile and run the games on my own computer for testing? For example I'm doing a Swift course from Udemy and I can compile and run iOS apps without a developer account, X Code lets my use my standard Apple ID for testing on my own devices or the iOS VMs. Is Gamemaker the same, or will I need to pay for a Developer Account immediately?

2. If I buy the Developer Desktop version and run it from my Mac, am I able to export executables for Windows and Linux as well from my Mac, or will I need to setup separate build stations/VMs for each of those? I believe that's the case for the Creator versions but I'm not sure for Developer Desktop.
If I've overlooked the answers to these please point me in the right direction!

Dog Slobber

1. No. I compile, test and run all the time. I don't have a developer account.

2. I can't comment on Linux as I haven't tried it. But I believe you need a Windows machine to create a standard Windows executable. Here's how I create a Windows EXE.

• On the Windows machine, install required support programs (ie Visual Studio)
  • On the Windows machine, install the Remote Worker, which comes with GameMaker
  • On your Mac, add and configure the remote worker in the platform target
  • On your Mac, select run, it will send it to the Windows machine and execute.

I have,'t attempted this but,t you might be able to accomplish the Windows and Linux creation with a virtual machine.

N

nz0

Thank you both for your answers. I'm glad I won't need a developer account just for building and testing. Unfortunate that I'll need a Windows instance to build those exes, hopefully at VM will work as I don't want to have another physical computer just for that.

Toque

I thought I could create a windows exe on a mac...... I wish I would of known that before I bought that module a week ago.... My bad.

Thank you both for your answers. I'm glad I won't need a developer account just for building and testing. Unfortunate that I'll need a Windows instance to build those exes, hopefully at VM will work as I don't want to have another physical computer just for that.
I use a VM for compiling windows builds.

I don't use the remote worker option, I just open the project directly via shared drive and compile. The same project files are compatible between Mac and windows.

Toque

I use a VM for compiling windows builds.

I don't use the remote worker option, I just open the project directly via shared drive and compile. The same project files are compatible between Mac and windows.
I understand. I’ve never used a virtual machine but it’s something I can look into to.

Thanks!!