• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

[SOLVED]Question about smooth Vector Art

• Thread starter Tom_SavePointsGames
  • Start date
T

Tom_SavePointsGames

Need Some Advice

I am trying to move from pixel art to vector art. I have an artist but while he can draw very well he is still learning how to make digital art. I've been trying to guide him through what I know and the different things I have done with pixel art in the hopes he can apply them while using programs like Gimp, and Krita.

My question is how can someone make smooth lines. The art he sent me looks good but all the edges look pixelated. The only thought I would have is to make the resolution much higher but then I would have to shrink things in the game and I would lose quality (things become blurry).

Fire Emblem Heroes just came out for mobile phones and the artwork on that is something we would try to mimic. He is that good of an artist if I can just get up to a point where he understands the tools to make digital art.

Any tutorials or guides I could watch/read? Any help appreciated.

JackTurbo

If anything is looking pixelated then it probably isn't vector art. If you want to make real vector art then you'll want to use a vector drawing package such as adobe illustrator, flash or Inkscape.

T

Tom_SavePointsGames

If anything is looking pixelated then it probably isn't vector art. If you want to make real vector art then you'll want to use a vector drawing package such as adobe illustrator, flash or Inkscape.
Your blowing my mind right now. GIMP, Krita, and Photoshop don't make vector art?

T

Tom_SavePointsGames

Ok I googled the crap out of this. GIMP, Krita and Photshop all use Raster Graphics. I'm not an artist so I had no idea what I was doing. Looks like I am going to be downloading inkscape and checking it out. Thank you!

JackTurbo

No problem, vector art is a funny one especially if you don't fully understand vector formats.

Basically any of the usual image formats you're used to Will be raster based, so any vector art displayed in these formats are actually rasterized exports.

The only true vector format that GM supports (to my knowledge at least) is SWF, which is a Flash/AnimateCC export.

The only format that web browsers natively support is SVG. Even then only newer browsers support it.

Pdfs also have full vector support and are the best format to use for print based jobs

Last edited: