• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM [Solved][Particles] Make a particle grow, then shrink?

C

correojon

I´m trying to create an effect where particles first grow for some time and then start shrinking until they dissapear. I´ve been trying to find some way to alter the properties of already existing particles but seems like there´s no way to achieve this. I´ve also tried using part_type_death() and use 2 different part types, so the growing particle spawns the shrinking one on death. But as growing particles also rotate and move, this wasn´t working correctly. For example, a growing particle which had rotated 30º would spawn a shrinking particle rotated 200º, so the continuity of the effect is lost.

In old GM version there were particle changers who allowed to change one particle into another maintaining it´s individual properties, but I can´t think of anything to make something similar in GMStudio.

SOLVED: In the end I used an animated sprite for the particles so I can control the shrink, growing and rotation there.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deanaro

First of all when you are creating the smaller particle you can use a with constructor to set its image angle.

But a better way of doing this is to set an initial growth rate (say 4) and every step reduce the growth rate by 1, so initialy the particle will grow by 4 pixels and the next step it will grow by 3 pixels until it becomes negative and starts to shrink.

C

correojon

I´m using the particle system so there are no instances and I can´t modify the particle´s properties once they are created.

C

correojon

I just used an animated sprite for the particle and did everything I needed as an animation, then used the particle properties for the rest.