(SOLVED)Object Self Referencing for Data Structures

S

Starburst383

I created a global stack, and now every time an event is triggered. i want to store the object the event was triggered in, to the stack. This object then has to be edited by a command block. for example.

//THIS_OBJECT
ds_stack_push(gemSwap, "THIS_OBJECT");
///i want to store the reference to the object or anything that will let me edit it in command block

//Command block
var obj = ds_stack_pop(gemSwap);
obj.x = 100;

gem swap is the stack my object is in, and i want the data location to be loaded and then the x variable of that data location to be edited. i already wrote code to do all the editing, however..... there seems to be no good way to reference the object from it's self. i tried instance_id, but it's a read only? and it seems to affect all my objects in the room which stem from the same parent.

side note, i'm making a match 3 prototype, so most objects i'm dealing with all have the same parent and code, and multiple instances of each child. i want to be able to affect only 1 instance at a time.

S

Starburst383

This is my current situation ......

current code :

//////object1
ds_stack_push(gemSwap, id);

//////object2

////////////command block
//store first gems data
var xtemp = (ds_stack_top(gemSwap)).x;
var ytemp = (ds_stack_top(gemSwap)).y;
//save fist gem
var obj = (ds_stack_pop(gemSwap));
//give first gem second gems data
obj.x = (ds_stack_top(gemSwap)).x;
obj.y = (ds_stack_top(gemSwap)).y;
//overwrite with second gem
obj = (ds_stack_pop(gemSwap));
//give second gem first gems data
obj.x = xtemp;
obj.y = ytemp;

and then all the objects in the game room which are gems (all share the same parent) are moved to the position i'm swapping with instead of just the gem i want to be moved. they all seem to have the same id?

Attachments

S

Starburst383

UPDATE, i got it working a slightly different way, in case any one is curious. i swapped the sprites instead of the objects them self. hopefully this doesn't mess me up in the long run.

//obj1

//obj2

//command block
{

//store first gems data
var temp = (ds_stack_top(gemSwap)).sprite_index;

//save fist gem
var obj = (ds_stack_pop(gemSwap));

//give first gem second gems data
obj.sprite_index = (ds_stack_top(gemSwap)).sprite_index;