• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

[Solved]Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

S

Sushiba

wtf.jpg
After another issue of GMS freezing completely i've dropped the task and this is what i see every time i try to complie ANY project, even empty... i've restarted my PC, tried to re-install GMS2, the error is still here :C

A bit disappointed how much issues i get with GMS2 atm... any solutions? :C

thanks

S

Sushiba

Saving project to: D:\GameMakerStudio2\Arena_shooter\Arena_shooter.yyp
"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.5.49/bin/Igor.exe" -options="d:\GameMakerStudio2temp\\build.bff" -- Windows Run

Loaded Macros from d:\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\Arena_shoo_A423972E_51D87316\macros.json
OptionsIni
Options: d:\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\Arena_shoo_A423972E_51D87316\platform_options.yy
TargetPreferences: d:\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\Arena_shoo_A423972E_51D87316\preferences.json
Target Options: d:\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\Arena_shoo_A423972E_51D87316\targetoptions.json
[Compile] Run asset compiler
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c ""C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.5.49/bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe" /c /zpex /mv=1 /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=0 /j=8 /gn="Arena_shooter" /td="d:\GameMakerStudio2temp\" /cd="d:\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\Arena_shoo_A423972E_51D87316" /zpuf="C:\Users\Sushiba\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\yur.vit_1118724" /m=windows /tgt=64 /nodnd /cfg=default /o="d:\GameMakerStudio2temp\\Arena_shooter_722343F3_VM" /sh=True /optionsini="d:\GameMakerStudio2temp\\Arena_shooter_722343F3_VM\options.ini" /tp=2048 /cvm /baseproject="C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.5.49/BaseProject/BaseProject.yyp" "D:\GameMakerStudio2\Arena_shooter\Arena_shooter.yyp" /bt=run"

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (-532462766)
elapsed time 00:00:02.5959968s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.5.49/bin/Igor.exe" -options="d:\GameMakerStudio2temp\\build.bff" -- Windows Run started at 03/13/2017 21:22:12
FAILED : Run Program Complete
here's the output if that helps...

S

Sushiba

also tried to clean all the cache, preferences, temp and project folders... still the same...

G

Gaizokubanou

I encountered this on converted 1.4 project myself way too much and found one of the culpits. So for me, best option was to simply go back to 1.4 to finish that project. But I do know that this error also happened on new 2.0 project, which is even worse cause the 'delete object' solution on 1.4 converted project doesn't even work at that point (as you said, even empty 2.0 will fail to compile)... only fix is ctrl + z back to stable point... but that means you can never close any script/event windows cause we don't know what's causing this bug.

Just not worth dealing with this ATM. Too risky.

Yeah I haven't touched compatibility scripts, I mean events from objects. At the end of them I see the image attached and if I were to delete those empty comment brackets I get compiler error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

View attachment 7626
Yes removing everything there doesn't help, and that's the very last lines in events (not scripts, this is in object's event-code block, not the compatibility scripts that are created during import). Basically if I change those few lines in any way I get compiler error. Only fix is to restore via ctrl + z or delete the entire object (deleting events doesn't seem to help).

And open comments like that at the very end never gave me compiler errors on 1.4 either.

S

Sushiba

@Gaizokubanou i don't even have 1.4 GMS i've installed GMS2 yesterday and have this :C so imporint anything frim 1.4 is not my issue...

G

Gaizokubanou

@Gaizokubanou i don't even have 1.4 GMS i've installed GMS2 yesterday and have this :C so imporint anything frim 1.4 is not my issue...
I know dude, I know.

But I do know that this error also happened on new 2.0 project, which is even worse cause the 'delete object' solution on 1.4 converted project doesn't even work at that point (as you said, even empty 2.0 will fail to compile)... only fix is ctrl + z back to stable point.

gnysek

Copy this project, and try removing things until game will again run. You'll find then what causing this issue, and may report a bug.

S

Sushiba

I can't even compile an empty project... its not a project issue!!! its a compiler issue i can't solve

S

Sushiba

i wish i'd know where's the safe point to ctrl-z to it :C i've tried to completely eradicate GMS2 from hdd and OS, rebooting(complete uefi reboot) and reinstalling it doesn't help at all :C

Just a guess, but have you tried reinstalling .NET framework?
The GMS2 installer contains NDP452-KB2901954-Web.exe, which is framework version 4.5.2

S

Sushiba

SELF-SOLVED...

as i thought it was a cache issue...
for those who've killed the process while GMS was frozen and got the same issue - clean all the cache folders and go for c:\users\%username%\AppData\Local\ there should be a couple of .json files you might want to exterminate and probably some other crap definitely related to GMS...

good luck ;)