1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GMS 2 [SOLVED]New to GMS

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Quantum_Compooter, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Quantum_Compooter

Quantum_Compooter Member

I am new to GMS as in I have less than 24 hours with it. I am simply trying to go from an idle animation to a run animation and back. I am using Spine Pro for the sprite animation. Anytime I move my sprite it just freezes. If I understand correctly it is because every "tick" it is restarting my run animation but I do not know how to rectify this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Code:
    key_right = keyboard_check(ord("D"));
    key_left = keyboard_check(ord("A"));
    mv_dir = key_right - key_left;

movement = mv_dir * walksp;

x += movement;

if(mv_dir != 0){
      image_xscale = mv_dir;
      skeleton_animation_set("Run");
    }else{
      skeleton_animation_set("Idle");
    }

2. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Assuming this is a Step Event, you are setting the animation every single frame which results in it being set back to frame 0 every frame and this is why it appears to "freeze" - it's just frame 0 every frame.

Add a check to see what animation is already playing before you set it, for example you only want to change to the "run" animation if the run animation isn't already playing.

3. Quantum_Compooter

Quantum_Compooter Member

Ok I will give this a try. I appreciate it.

4. Quantum_Compooter

Quantum_Compooter Member

This solved it. For anyone with this issue I used exactly this. I set a variable to skeleton_animation_get() and then if it wasnt set to the animation I wanted I set it.

rIKmAN likes this.