• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML [SOLVED] Need Component Object naming advice

D

DarklinkFighter

Hi,

I am currently trying to create a RPG Core Framework.
My goal is to make the Framework as configurable as possible and that works out very well so far...
RPGame_Maker_Studio_example.png
( I am heavily inspired by the RPG Maker^^ )

Today I started to refactor the Statemachine Components to decouple it's Logic even more because in the old version the Statemachine Component was responsible for drawing 4 directional sprites / animations which I now want to decouple to:
  • Statemachine - Can act differently to various situations
  • Rotatable - Can use Game Maker built-in rotation (image_angle, direction)
  • Faceable - Can have 4 different face directions sprites / animations (compatible with state machine - 4 for each state)
But I don't know if "Faceable" is an understandable name because english is not my native language and I for myself think other people could understand it like "Other Objects can look at THIS object" but what I want to say is "THIS Object can have multiple directions resulting in different sprites".
And in my oppinion face direction seems to be a good name as one of the values for the "Faceable" thats why i tried to "...able" the word face.

I would be happy if someone could give me feedback about that naming or could me tell a better name for such a component.

Best regards,
DarklinkFighter

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome. I quite like "faceable", I use the variable "facing" in my project so faceable seems a natural extension almost :)