Android /SOLVED/ Make game work on every device

MicroKiss

Hi all, I have an android game which works on my phone,but not on other devices ,how do I make the game to work on all devices ? Do I have to change the room sizes or what ? Thanks for your answer !

Edit :
I have a Huawei p9 lite phone with resolution of 1080x1920 so I made my game in this resolution ,but I don't know whether the room size effects how the app runs on other devices for example for a smaller phone will it automatically resize the window,or maybe this is what makes problems. So I should somehow make my app able to ask for the device's resolution or what ?

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Any error message?
What's the room size?
Doing anything special when the game starts with regards to setting up the first room?

Give us some information, we aren't psychic.

Bingdom

Googledom
What's your device that's having issues? A lot of my users have issues with my apps, even though they're very efficient and don't have much graphics.

MicroKiss

Any error message?
What's the room size?
Doing anything special when the game starts with regards to setting up the first room?

Give us some information, we aren't psychic.
I have a Huawei p 9lite which has a resolution of 1080x1920 so I made my app in this room size ,but when I install my app on any other device,my app doesn't run ,so should I change somehow the room size according to the device which is running my app? Or how do android developers make any app run on any device ?

Bingdom

Googledom
Nope. Totally not my fault. I sent them about 5 different crash reports to them and I think they are investigating now.

MicroKiss

Do you set the view in this size? Or if you don't use views you should set the room size to about 1024x600 and 30 as room speed. Many android devices can't handle more. They just crash on startup.
I don't use view and I have 60 room speed ,so you say that if I change these settings than it will work ? Or I should use views ? Or what did you wanted to say about views ?

Bingdom

Googledom
Hey there ,I tried your suggestions and it worked ! Thank you for your answer only I had to do is make room speed 30 and changed the room size 1024*600
Huh, strange. One of my games is 640x360 with 30 fps and still many people have issues with it. :/

T

TInteractive

Try set room speed to 30 and set the room size to 1024x600 and do a testrun.
Hey I have similar issue with my app. So you say if I do this it will be more efficient in more devices? OK. But how do I scale down my objects as well. When I decrease room size the objects stay big. Any idea how?

The-any-Key

Hey I have similar issue with my app. So you say if I do this it will be more efficient in more devices?
The problem was that his room was too big and he did not use views. And if you try draw a 1080x1920 area on a old/cheap/bad mobile device. You are in trouble. So its better not go over 1024.

R

RATInteractive

I use 60fps and 1080 room size

Use the brush tool and try re compile.

If not check global game settings.

How big are your sprites. Does the texture page need to be larger?

R

RATInteractive

Many cheap devices fps is locked on 30. So if you try run 60 on a old/cheap/bad device. It will run super slow and eat your battery.
New devices can handle 60. But then your audience must all have new and "expensive" devices.
Devices like that are many years old now. I wouldn't even bother with my apps supporting them as it'll cripple the app for how it could be on newer devices 2012+

T

TInteractive

Many cheap devices fps is locked on 30. So if you try run 60 on a old/cheap/bad device.
So is there any way to change the resolution and fps in certain devices? Some people have played my game on their device and its really slow. Also on tablets it doesn't cover the fullscreen. It has paddes black lines on the sides. I have searched around for tutorials and I don't seem to find any that helps me.

If you have android and want to try my game to see what's the problem or if its slow on your device you can search for "Chikken Bukks" on the play store or go here.

BTW I am aware that the gameplay is really crappy right now but I am working on updates to make it better etc. So please don't laugh. :p

The-any-Key

So is there any way to change the resolution and fps in certain devices?
They can root the device and unlock the fps limiter. Else, you cant do anything about it.

paddes black lines
The black letterbox effect is because your game dont fit the screen. The easiest thing to fix this is to make the game stretch.But it may give your game bad graphics.

There is no universal fix for this. You can read more about it here:
http://www.yoyogames.com/blog/65
http://www.yoyogames.com/blog/66

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/how-to-properly-scale-your-game.995/