Distribution [SOLVED]MacOS Export "Unable to find game!!" When openned from downloaded directory

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by witches, Dec 31, 2019.

1. witches

witches Member

I'm actually going insane.
    I exported my code via YYC and is interpreted in xcode flawlessly. Game runs perfectly on my Mac through Xcode and I have an Apple Developer membership.
    I have a certificate for the Developer ID Application
    I have a unique registered identifier for my game
    I have an associated profile for my game
    I know how to notarize and have notarized successfully for all of my builds
    But every time I isolate the exported, notarized, signed and cosigned app; all i get is a window that says:

Code:
     Unable to find game!!:
    please, can anyone help me. I'm considering abandoning macOS distribution.

2. IndianaBones

IndianaBones Member

3. witches

witches Member

i appreciate the articles. the app runs fine on my own machine, but its after i email it to myself where i get the error. so its effectively useless to anyone else but me. the name of the game has zero spaces and i'm not eligible for a dmg certificate apparently so i cant make it mountable. im not sure what other apple hoops i need to jump through since exporting throught the VM method doesnt yield a pkg file for me to send through xcode

4. witches

witches Member

after experimenting for a bit and reviewing the articles more, i found that after zipping the exported app, downloading the zip, unzipping the app and moving to a different directory from where i unzipped it. the game works with no errors. I wonder what would cause something like this

5. IndianaBones

IndianaBones Member

It's Apples Gatekeeper quarantining apps that aren't downloaded from the app store.

The app will work if you simply build it on your machinem. However, as soon as you download it/email it etc...it's flagged as being from an internet source and given a file attribute marking it as quarantined.

You used to be able to get around this by right clicking on the app and selecting open, or by moving it to a different folder.

6. witches

witches Member

I feel like thats what the whole certificate and notarization process is for though. im not sure anymore just seems like a huge user inconvenience to have a special note on all macOS exports to move the app to a different directory after unzipping it or else the game just flat out wont work. do other well known gms2 projects exported to macOS need this work around to work?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  7. witches

witches Member

figured out a work around that isn't dumb. made it into a dmg now it works like any other normal application.