• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

[SOLVED] Logging in from China / Unable to use GMS 2 in Online Mode without VPN

What I'm wondering is, does GMS 2 use different logon servers than GMS 1.4? Reason for asking as follows:

I'm currently living in mainland China. I have GMS 1.4.1763 Professional (Steam Version) and GMS 1.4.1763 Professional (Stand Alone).

When I use either of these versions of GMS 1.4, I am able to logon to my Yoyo account via the Account->Login menu within GMS, and then open the MarketPlace and download assets I have purchased.

However, when I use GMS 2 (Desktop License) and current version (IDE 2.0.5.76, Runtime 2.0.5.49) I can only get into Online mode and access the MarketPlace if I activate my VPN first and then logon to GMS 2. This also applies to updating the runtime within GMS 2. I can only view and download runtime updates when using a VPN.

Note: This same issue has applied to all the previous Beta Builds of GMS 2 as well since I started using it a couple of months ago.

Also, if my GMS 2 license has expired / timed out(needs to be re-validatedI guess), I can re-verify it by activating my VPN and then running GMS 2. After I have done that at least once, then subsequently if I start GMS 2 *without* a using a VPN, it lets me start and run the software no problem, *however* GMS 2 will then be running in Offline mode and I can't access the MarketPlace or download new runtimes.

I realise the Great Firewall of China blocks many external sites, hence the need occasionally for VPN access.

I would really like to know if it's possible to get "Online" working with GMS 2 without my needed to always use VPN, as it's slower and VPN access doesn't always work reliably all the time.

Quick Update: I just updated to version 2.0.5.77 and just now when I started GameMaker, my status is Online, without needing to use VPN.

Just checked the release notes for this version:

Code:
Updated
Fixed issues where the IDE always says it's offline for some users (typically users in China)
Woohoo! Don't know if this was specifically for me, but I'll take it!

Thanks YoYo.