• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Opinion [SOLVED] Linux Laptop Recommendations

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I'm on the lookout for a laptop specifically designed for Linux to run on it, as aposed to running on Windows or Mac intended hardware. The only thing I've looked into so far is the KDE Slimbook, which comes with KDE Neon preinstalled on it, which is based on the latest Ubuntu LTS release. More info on the specs can be found here:

http://kde.slimbook.es

But to buy one new is still like hundreds of USD. I was wondering if there was any cheaper options out there, similar to what I got my used MacBook for (roughly $175 USD). The key thing though is I would like to buy it new if possible within that price range, though not 100% mandatory. The only thing I consider 100% mandatory is that the hardware is designed very specifically for the Linux OS that will be on it. This is mainly because I am OCD.

I like having Windows running on Windows hardware. I like Mac running on Mac hardware. I see no reason why I can't have just one Linux installation on Linux hardware. I just like the authenticity, or whatever, idk how to describe it.

So anyway if there is a particular laptop or distribution you happen to really like, I am all ears for your recommendations.

Jabbers

There isn't really a thing as "Windows hardware" or "Linux hardware" (and in many ways "Mac hardware" is also artificial, but that debate is worthy of another topic in itself).

The spirit of Linux is in the accessibility of the software, not the hardware, so making a high-end consumer machine, designed only for Linux, is philosophically inconsistent with the community that uses the software. On top of that, there isn't a huge market in selling Linux-only machines, and I imagine most attempts are just re-badged OEM laptops. As it happens, that KDE Slimbook isn't really a "Linux machine" in any meaningful sense. They are just rebranded Slimbooks sourced from a company in Spain who offer Windows versions of the same thing.

Any laptop is a Linux laptop. That's what makes Linux great.

Ihato

If you did not know it, it is Lenovo ThinkPads that are considered to be GNU/Linux machines.

Specifically, ThinkPad x220 (or x230) is the one I think perfectly suit your needs!
The price is up to $200 (which is exactly in your price range) and for that you get an IPS monitor, Intel i5 with 4GB RAM and 320G disk space.
You can also get more powerful ThinkPads (e.g. W models) for around $600 that have an i7, 16GB with SSD.

And yes, you are actually better off if buy them used, it's much cheaper than if you buy them from Lenovo.
It's not a very big problem. ThinkPads are very modular and you can replace/upgrade your hardware therefore they're practically immortal.
Obviously now, the downside of all that is that they are very fat and heavy unlike paper-thin MacBooks and Slimbooks.

I have an x230 myself with GNU/Linux! In particular, I use Gentoo with bspwm (a tiling wm) and jwm (when I want desktop experience).

S

Sam (Deleted User)

If you did not know it, it is Lenovo ThinkPads that are considered to be GNU/Linux machines.

Specifically, ThinkPad x220 (or x230) is the one I think perfectly suit your needs!
The price is up to $200 (which is exactly in your price range) and for that you get an IPS monitor, Intel i5 with 4GB RAM and 320G disk space.
You can also get more powerful ThinkPads (e.g. W models) for around $600 that have an i7, 16GB with SSD.

And yes, you are actually better off if buy them used, it's much cheaper than if you buy them from Lenovo.
It's not a very big problem. ThinkPads are very modular and you can replace/upgrade your hardware therefore they're practically immortal.
Obviously now, the downside of all that is that they are very fat and heavy unlike paper-thin MacBooks and Slimbooks.

I have an x230 myself with GNU/Linux! In particular, I use Gentoo with bspwm (a tiling wm) and jwm (when I want desktop experience).
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.