• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM (SOLVED) lengthdir_y is not doing anything

S

Shadowblitz16

can someone confirm if this is a bug in gms 1.4?
basicly I have separated my sine motion and my linear motion into two sections
I can confirm that my velocity is 5 and my angular is 0 when I come to line 43 and 44 however it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Code:
/// Update Projectile

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Tail
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

if ((instance_exists(spawner)) && (spawner.object_index != Projectile))
if (tails > 0)
{
    scr_projectile_spawn(json, config[? "id"], 90, xstart, ystart)
    tails --;
}

// Apply Movement
if (update)
{

// Wave Motion

amplitude_value = clamp((amplitude_value + amplitude_accel) - amplitude_decel, amplitude_base, amplitude_peak);
    oscillation_value = clamp((oscillation_value + oscillation_accel) - oscillation_decel, oscillation_base, oscillation_peak);

oscillation += degtorad(oscillation_value);
    var _shift = amplitude * sin(oscillation);

oscillation_x += lengthdir_x(speed, angular);
    oscillation_y += lengthdir_y(speed, angular);

x = oscillation_x + lengthdir_x(_shift, angular + 0);
    y = oscillation_y + lengthdir_y(_shift, angular + 0);

// Linear Motion

x += lengthdir_x(velocity, angular + 90); //< seems to be offsetting it slightly
    y += lengthdir_y(velocity, angular + 90); //< does nothing
    var test = 0;
}

obscene

You are using lengthdir_y correctly, there's definitely no bug with it. I can't follow your code to help you with the problem but the function is fine.

TheouAegis

If by the time the last two lines are run angular is 0, then lengthdir_x is velocity and lengthdir_y is 0. Then at angular+90 they are swapped, so lengthdir_x is 0 and lengthdir_y is velocity, negative when needed.

S

Shadowblitz16

@obscene here is my latest project if it helps you follow my code
@TheouAegis sorry I don't understand.
where is it swapping? i'm offsetting it by 90 for the movement since I want direction 0 in my game to be up

Edit: Nevermind I found out that I didn't need to increment x any since the wave already did it for me
I just removed the last two lines

Last edited by a moderator: