• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

[SOLVED] Kruskal's Maze Generation, Joining Sets

Bentley

I was reading about Kruskal's maze algorithm (http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/2011/1/3/maze-generation-kruskal-s-algorithm), and after many mistakes, I understand how it works, but I don't know a good way to merge sets. The author of that link uses a tree data structure. So he can merge entire sets by just "adding one tree as a subtree of another". I don't know how to do that in GML, so I was thinking of work-arounds. Does anyone have any ideas for merging sets?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

NightFrost

You've already marked this as solved, but... Any reason why you want to use Kruskal's in particular? I haven't tried implementing that but I have done recursive backtracker and growing tree, and both can be ran while-ing away across a single array without needing to glue data structures together.

You can possibly use gms 2.3's constructors to make a node which contains a list of other nodes and those other nodes will have a list of other nodes and it goes on and on. That's the basics of a tree data structure.

Bentley

You've already marked this as solved, but... Any reason why you want to use Kruskal's in particular? I haven't tried implementing that but I have done recursive backtracker and growing tree, and both can be ran while-ing away across a single array without needing to glue data structures together.
Thanks for the reply. I'm doing this maze just for fun/learning. I thought with the new GML changes I might be able to do it. I ended up with something like this (it's ugly but w/e):
o_control [Create]
GML:
for (var j = 0; j < ROWS; j++)
for (var i = 0; i < COLS; i++)
{
    with (instance_create_layer(i * CELL_SIZE, j * CELL_SIZE, layer, o_cell))
    {
        // Give each cell a unique set
        set = instance_number(object_index);
    }
}
(Edited a bit ) And one go of the algorithm would be something like this (using instances to make it easier atm)
GML:
    if (ds_list_size(edges) <= 1)
    {
        show_message("maze done");
        exit;
    }

ds_list_shuffle(edges);

// Get the edge's x, y, and direction
    var _cx  = edges[| 0][X];
    var _cy  = edges[| 0][Y];
    var _dir = edges[| 0][DIR];

// Get the room coordinates for the two cells the edge connects