• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics SOLVED(kinda): How to deal with images split in several pieces?

R

RedSorcery

EDIT AT END*

Lets say, for some reason, i have to split an image with the size of 1024x600 into 12 smaller parts to fit a texture pack size of 256x256.
Can i make those 12 parts into a tileset and then just "assemble" them back into a full 1024x600 image?

The reason i ask is i just compiled a test apk that turned out to be 250mb. I then downgraded the texture pack to 512x512 and the game now compiles at 80mb. (images are 1024x600)
My total game assets (images and audio) is 50mb.
I got the idea to keep screen resolution at 1024x600 with a texture pack at 512x512 and just split the large images to fit the lower texture pack. This allowes me to save space and keep the full 1024x600 image quality in game.
And then i wondered if i could save even more space by going 256x256 texture pack.

However, this leaves me with a lot more sprites to deal with. So i figured a tileset would be the easiest way to import lots of smaller parts and then assemble them in game somehow.
But even this is a lot of work, so i need advice before i go on.

Does this sound right?
Are there easier ways to get around this?

As far as i could tell when googled this is that the game compile size isnt determined by assets sizes in MB, but somehow calculated by other factors with screen sizes and pixel usage... I dont really know, I guess im way of. But when splitting the image into parts, they still have a smaller combined disc size than the full original image. So i'll be cutting the overall size, but still keep the quality.

EDIT:
So i kept testing things, and i ended up with not much actually.
Its just alot of work, for little or less gain. Not really worth looking into in depth. I ended up with downsizing images to 512x512 texture sizes and that was really the lowest i could go before quality was too low.
The ONLY times when dividing a sprite was actually helpful was when i needed things with transparency. Like a border or outline. My resolution was 1024x600, and downscaling sprites to 512 made it blurry when fit to screen,unsurprisingly. Dividing the same sprite in 2 halves kept them crisp quality.. So thats someting at least.

Last edited by a moderator: