• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker [Solved] Issues with drawing Cyrillic text from a .ini file

M

m4meteor

In my game I have setup a localization system using an included .ini file. The strings.ini file looks like this
Code:
[english]
101=Resume
102=Settings
103=Quit
104=Video
105=Audio
106=Controls
107=Back
108=Resolution
109=Fullscreen mode
110=Master
111=SFX
112=Music
113=Walk left
114=Walk right
115=Jump
116=Climb/Up
117=Descend/Down
118=General
119=Language
120=English
121=Russian
122=On
123=Off

[russian]
101=Продолжить
102=Настройки
103=Выйти
104=Видео
105=Аудио
106=Управление
107=Назад
108=Расшерение экрана
109=Полноэкранный режим
110=Мастер
111=Эффекты
112=Музыка
113=Идти налево
114=Идти направо
115=Прыгать
116=Подниматься/Вверх
117=Спускаться/Вниз
118=Основные
119=Язык
120=Англиский
121=Русский
122=Вкл
123=Выкл
Now in my game i have set-up a script, that looks like this
Code:
///@desc string_lang(ini_index)
///@arg ini_index

var search = argument0;

switch (global.language)
{
    case lang.english: var language = "english"; break;
    case lang.russian: var language = "russian"; break;
}

ini_open("strings.ini");
var find_string = ini_read_string(language, string(search), "Error");
ini_close();

return find_string;
So, now when I want to have a string translated to russian and english, for example, instead of putting
Code:
var text = "Resume"
, I would put
Code:
var text = string_lang(101)
Which would still be equal to "Resume" if global.language = lang.english but if global.language = lang.russian it would be equal to "Продолжить" which is the translation I want. Until here it is all ok, but when I get to print the string in Russian it prints boxes.

Please note: I have a font that supports all Cyrillic letters and I have added a range for all the cyrrilic letters, yet still this problem happens. I also know that the problem isn't in the font because when I simply print a russian string without using the string_lang script it prints it perfectly.

From my debug testing I know that the problem is when the string_lang reads the Russian strings from the .ini file. I know that because i've setup a variable be equal to string_lang(101) when language is Russian and from the debugger I can see that the variable is equal to "����������" instead of "Продолжить".

Briefly:

The problem is when I read a cyrillic string from a .ini file, Gamemaker returns it as strange boxes ("��������")

How do I fix this?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

m4meteor

Oh i forgot to encode the .ini file to UTF-8 whhops my bad

J

jifeng

Hello, I see that the code you wrote seems to be complete. I'm a novice who just learned gms2. I learned localization all night and didn't find a proper tutorial. Can you teach me? I want to know the process and basic operation of localization. Thank you.

rIKmAN

Hello, I see that the code you wrote seems to be complete. I'm a novice who just learned gms2. I learned localization all night and didn't find a proper tutorial. Can you teach me? I want to know the process and basic operation of localization. Thank you.
There are quite a few guides and tutorials on localisation on here, reddit and Youtube etc

If you do a Google search for "gamemaker localization" you will find many of them, but here is one on this very forum that uses Json to localise game text:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/how-to-localize-your-game-using-json.55568/