• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Project [Solved] Isometric RPG game template?

Y

yaragad

Hi. I think isometric or top view 2d map games are some of the basis of GMS2. The thing is, Im a bit lazzy to program all the collisions, 8 direction possible collisions, been behind a tree or not, etc etc.

Do you guys know any template, demo or project that I can use as template? If it is enough good I can buy it in marketplace.

Like this (just the collisions and movement, dont mind about huds or combats):
https://cdn.hobbyconsolas.com/sites.../public/media/image/2017/08/secret-mana-8.jpg

Thanks!!!

JeffJ

One thing to keep in mind with an isometric title now is that the good old depth=-y trick will create an unpredictably large amount of unmanaged layers in GMS2 which could lead to quite a big performance hit. As such, you may want to read up on z-tilting. There are several good topics on how to handle rendering efficiently for an isometric game in GMS2 here on the forums. If the tutorial you're eyeing does not have such a solution (which from the look of it, it doesn't), I would strongly suggest you make this consideration first, so you're not hit with performance issues once you're kneedeep in development.

Y

yaragad

Oh! Thanks for the advise. I see is very good explained and easy to use. Perfect example!

I'll try to use my collision system in it and I will came back to tell. At the moment I don't know if my character collision systems will work with this 3D approach

Thanks much!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yaragad

While understanding this example, I see alpha pixels are removed. So I enabled alpha just for those objects in the background.

I also use Asset Layer for the isometric tiles. Nice performance and fast to create.

For those overlapping, I just removed alpha and it's perfect!!! Wow this is going to be fast editing!!

upload_2019-3-22_20-44-33.png