• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE [SOLVED] Is Windows YYC compiler already enabled in GMS2?

D

Dani

Hello!

It's just that. I'm using GMS2 and trying to test / compile a project for target Windows YYC, and I get the following compiler error message:

Configuration Error : Visual Studio install not found, check your Preferences.

I have installed Visual Studio 2015 (downloaded here) and there is a folder in my computer named "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0". I have set that folder as Visual Studio Path inside the Preferences > Platform Settings > Windows but GMS2 still says it can't find Visual Studio.

What's going on? Did anyone successfully compiled for Windows YYC in GMS2?

By the way, it seems you can't copy compiler error messages via Ctrl+C or right click context menu. It would be a good idea to enable that feature in all log tabs.

Thanks!

Dani

@Nocturne, is there a reason GMS2's installer doesn't install the correct VS2015 components for us? Are you guys not allowed to add it to the installer, or something? I don't see any other reason for not including it...

N

NPT

@Nocturne, is there a reason GMS2's installer doesn't install the correct VS2015 components for us? Are you guys not allowed to add it to the installer, or something? I don't see any other reason for not including it...
Visual Studio is Microsoft's software. Why would you think it's OK for YYGs or anybody to distribute it?

Visual Studio is Microsoft's software. Why would you think it's OK for YYGs or anybody to distribute it?
I don't think you're actually interested in my answer, NPT (you already know the answer, unless you have no imagination at all), but I'll humor you anyway: I would assume it's okay for YYG or anyone to distribute it, because it's something Microsoft freely distributes, and would seemingly benefit from having distributed. You might not know this, but there are licenses out there that allow software to be distributed, while allowing the original authors to keep ownership of their programs. You could also ask "why do you think YoYo would be allowed to launch code on the Xbox One? It's Microsoft's console," with the obtuse logic you're using here.

Also, this:

Look at that! But how did that happen when it's Microsoft's software?! D:

@nacho_chicken: Did you find his post clever? Helpful? :p

Last edited:
D

Dani

@Nocturne Ok, thanks! I didn't follow any install instructions at all because I didn't see them in the website when I was looking for help in this issue. It seems that you must be logged-in in the website to see GMS 2 Desktop install instructions. Anyway, as @RichHopelessComposer said, it would be good to include all required libraries and components within GMS 2 installer, if possible, in order to get a full working product out of the box.

H

Harrk

I don't think you're actually interested in my answer, NPT (you already know the answer, unless you have no imagination at all), but I'll humor you anyway: I would assume it's okay for YYG or anyone to distribute it, because it's something Microsoft freely distributes, and would seemingly benefit from having distributed. You might not know this, but there are licenses out there that allow software to be distributed, while allowing the original authors to keep ownership of their programs. You could also ask "why do you think YoYo would be allowed to launch code on the Xbox One? It's Microsoft's console," with the obtuse logic you're using here.

Also, this:

Look at that! But how did that happen when it's Microsoft's software?! D:

@nacho_chicken: Did you find his post clever? Helpful? :p
I see the point you're trying to make there, but that was a bad example. Unity and Microsoft are partners. :) It wasn't always the case that Unity could include Visual Studio into the installer.

I see the point you're trying to make there, but that was a bad example. Unity and Microsoft are partners. :) It wasn't always the case that Unity could include Visual Studio into the installer.
My example was only to show that Microsoft could allow companies to distribute their code without giving up ownership of that code, and was a direct answer to "why would anyone think would YYG be able to distribute VS2015?". It was a perfect example. Also, about "partners:" http://www.yoyogames.com/blog/341

Kind of a vague term, with a lot of shades?

Last edited: