• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE [ SOLVED ] - Is there anywhere to change the Android default 'Game Options'?

rIKmAN

I create a lot of projects, mainly to isolate certain mechanics and systems to test them and ensure sure they work as intended before integrating them into my main project.

I test mobile on Android as it's quicker to deploy to than iOS - however every time I create a new project I have to go in and manually change the Android 'Build Settings', 'Support Library', 'Target SDK', 'Minimum SDK' and 'Target SDK', and it's starting to get a bit annoying.

Is there a template file or some other place the default values are stored / read from that I can edit so I don't have to keep doing it manually every single time for each new project?

I've had a dig around some of the files and folders but didn't see anything obvious.

gnysek

There's no official way (yet).
You can easily break GMS this way, but in C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.0.5.49\BaseProject\options you have folders for each system, and if you edit .yy files, then you can set different "default" options (compare with already saved project).

But remember, that you can easily break GMS this way (out-of-range value may make impossible to create new projects, so make a backup of files), and that you need to restore it every time that new runtime is released.

rIKmAN

There's no official way (yet).
You can easily break GMS this way, but in C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.0.5.49\BaseProject\options you have folders for each system, and if you edit .yy files, then you can set different "default" options (compare with already saved project).

But remember, that you can easily break GMS this way (out-of-range value may make impossible to create new projects, so make a backup of files), and that you need to restore it every time that new runtime is released.
Awesome - changed the relevant values and it worked like a charm.
You can indeed change the defaults for all targets too.

This will save me a lot of time (cumulatively) - marked as solved!

Thanks @gnysek! :)

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
This is exactly what the Roadmap feature for Project Inheritance is for - at the moment we have the BaseProject and all projects inherit from that, but we are aiming to allow you to create your own projects that you can inherit from (so any changes are not overwritten when a new runtime is released).

It will allow you to setup template projects for yourself which customise base features (and have common objects, scripts, sprites etc)

Russell