• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE [SOLVED] Is it possible to move tiles already placed on the room?

E

Enagic

So, yeah, just like the title says. In GMS1.4 you can select any tile placed on the room and place it again without any problem. Now, as far as I've seen, this isn't possible on GMS2, since there's no tool for that on the room editor.

Probably there's a reason for that, but why? There's a lot of times that I've designed some layout for a level and just want to move it a little bit to adjust some stuff, and having to make it all again is really annoying ):

Salutes!

I believe this is because there is no real need to move a tile. You simply right-click to delete it (if you simply want it gone) or left-click over it with the tile you do want there and it will be replaced. Since you can left-click-drag to "paint" tiles, there is no real way to move them (that I know of).

gnysek

I believe this is because there is no real need to move a tile. You simply right-click to delete it (if you simply want it gone) or left-click over it with the tile you do want there and it will be replaced. Since you can left-click-drag to "paint" tiles, there is no real way to move them (that I know of).
Let say you want to move whole square 10x10 tiles, because you make a platform game and want to move some platform to another place.
Maybe not for one tile, but for multiple there may be always a need.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
use cut/paste like you normally would.

for single tiles, use "P" to pick the tile the mouse is over, and then right click to delete it, and then place it elsewhere.

E

Enagic

Ohhhhh, I have literally no idea that I can copy/paste tiles! Thank you so much, that helps a lot :)

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Holding Ctrl/Alt (I think - check the manual) you can add/remove parts to the selection as well.

Z

zendorf

It would actually be incredibly useful to be able to marquee select across both tile and instance layers at the same time. The "select from any layer" function should be expanded to include tiles.

Since most levels will be a mix of tiles and instances, it can be a real pain to have to separately select items when you have to (for instance) move everything across 4 grid spaces , which is a very common task when designing levels. At the moment I have created scripts to auto generate instances from dummy tiles in the create event, just to avoid having too many combinations of instances and tiles to have to move around. This is a far from perfect solution as I can't put creation code on tiles or rotate them etc.

I can't really see a downside to having a universal shift/marquee select. If you don't want to it effect a tilemap layer, then you would just hide it.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Pretty sure select from any tile does include tiles. I use it a lot to "goto" the tile under the cursor, to save having to find it in the tilemap again.

Z

zendorf

Pretty sure select from any tile does include tiles. I use it a lot to "goto" the tile under the cursor, to save having to find it in the tilemap again.
I was referring to being able to select both instances and tiles at the same time when you are on an instance layer, when using the "select from any layer" option. Instance and asset layers can both be selected simultaneously , but not tiles. Would be awesome to have the option to select and manipulate all 3 layer types at the same time.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
nah... that would mess up much of the room UI, picking stuff on needs to goto the layer it's on so you can properly edit it or it'll just get confusing.