(Solved)Is D&D good practice

flyinian

I am wondering if D&D is good practice for seeing how code is formed. I havent used
D&D so, im not familiar with it but, i remember a "show code" option and I thought that it might be good practice for code visualization.

You create a small project with D&D and then you read through the code and break it down.

Whats the thoughts on this and is this do able? Is learning D&D difficult or time consuming to learn?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
It depends on whether you find it easier to work with than code at the moment. D&D is intended as a way for beginners to be introduced to game development and programming in general - the D&D to GML conversion is like icing on the cake in that regard.

Using D&D in production is a different story, as it doesn't offer the full feature capacity of GML. It's certainly not good practice in a real world scenario, as you'd likely run into road blocks sooner or later depending on the complexity of the game and would have to switch to GML for parts of the game anyway.

For learning, I suggest trying it out and see if it makes things any easier for you - there's no harm in it and you can always switch to pure GML.

flyinian

It depends on whether you find it easier to work with than code at the moment. D&D is intended as a way for beginners to be introduced to game development and programming in general - the D&D to GML conversion is like icing on the cake in that regard.

Using D&D in production is a different story, as it doesn't offer the full feature capacity of GML. It's certainly not good practice in a real world scenario, as you'd likely run into road blocks sooner or later depending on the complexity of the game and would have to switch to GML for parts of the game anyway.

For learning, I suggest trying it out and see if it makes things any easier for you - there's no harm in it and you can always switch to pure GML.
Thanks for the reply. I hope it'll get me past this menu system im working on.

T

Taddio

What would be good is experimenting with right-click-> convert to gml.
You will see how you could have written your code in GML (they often use variable names that make no sense, tho, like " var _gydYKjfU = something", you can just change it.
Make fresh test projects often and only when you CANT do in GML what you want after trying, use DND, make it work and convert it back so you can see how the engine does it. I did that a lot at first

flyinian

What would be good is experimenting with right-click-> convert to gml.
You will see how you could have written your code in GML (they often use variable names that make no sense, tho, like " var _gydYKjfU = something", you can just change it.
Make fresh test projects often and only when you CANT do in GML what you want after trying, use DND, make it work and convert it back so you can see how the engine does it. I did that a lot at first
okay,sounds good. Thanks.

B

Bgamemaker

The benefit is visualizing code. This can be useful at the start, and then you don't have to worry about certain nuances of code.
Eventually, it would be in your interest to make the switch over time to code as most of the world does this.