Shaders [SOLVED] Invisibility 'cloak' effect on sprites

Greetings!

Could someone point me in the direction of a definitive method for achieving a cloak | invisibility effect on sprites? (much like the one seen in the movie, Predator)

A paid or free example is fine.
youtube tutorials and marketplace assets are curiously lacking on this topic!

Cheers,
Nathan.

Last edited:
T

TheMatrixHasMe

I would play with the alpha for an easy effect. How experienced are you, are you aware of alpha and how to use it? Not trying to be condescending, just genuinely trying to help.

J

jackhigh24

you could do it with view although they will be oblong, or you can do it with surfaces you draw say the app surface to a surface at 2 times and another one on to of that at say 3 times and so forth until you got what you want, or use a shader there are some free in a pack on the market place.

TheouAegis

There's one on the old forums. I'll see if i can find it.
Update: Nevermind, the one I was thinking of was for GM8.

Last edited:
I would play with the alpha for an easy effect. How experienced are you, are you aware of alpha and how to use it? Not trying to be condescending, just genuinely trying to help.
Alpha adjustment is too simple, thanks though! I definitely want some kind of surface or shader method.

T

TheMatrixHasMe

Alpha adjustment is too simple, thanks though! I definitely want some kind of surface or shader method.
Sure no problem, sorry I couldn't be of help. I didn't even realize you were asking about shaders until after I posted.

J

jackhigh24

the shader is warp effect or ripple or wave from xth3es what ever his name is on the market place, but i would go with the surface method as it less chance of not being supported on mobile devices, so you can adapt this tutorial for a surface version.

EDIT
forgot to say you will have to adapt it to work with studio but its not to hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to all who posted here.
I'm just posting back, to inform of what I've learned;

I acquired "xygthop3's Shader Resources" from the Gamemaker market place.

It's a very good package. I had/have only a basic understanding of shaders, but with a little reading and few 'stabs' at playing with the code, I was able to figure out how to go about getting done what I needed--an animated invisibility effect (something akin to the one seen in the Predator films).

After selecting and setting up the desired shader, (almost all of the work is done in the package)
the draw event of any objects that need to have the shader effects applied to them, needed only this;
Code:
shader_set(name of shader);
draw_sprite_ext(name of sprite, image_index, x, y, x_scale, y_scale, image_angle, c_white, image_alpha);
shader_reset();

I specified an image_alpha at an appropriate level less than 1, and together with the applied shader effect the result was what I was after.