[SOLVED]IF statement not working as expected.

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Chris Livermore, Oct 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Chris Livermore

Chris Livermore Member

ok I have a bit of a wierd one, ill let the picture do most the explaining.

upload_2019-10-8_13-1-14.png

How is the above possible?
    if anyone has any idea, I have tried everything, rounding bother numbers, putting the logical test as a var before the IF (which also returns false, but the if still triggers on a false var) Im completely Lost and confused by how this code is executing :D

2. YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ Forum Staff Moderator

You are seeing this in debugger because the breakpoint and execution line sit at the ds_list_add call, not after it. Add any other action after it so that you can pause there.

3. chamaeleon

chamaeleon Member

I wouldn't make any assumptions here. I would just reach for show_debug_message(), output the two variables inside the "true" code block and let the program run and see what the output is. My guess you will never see an invalid result.

4. samspade

samspade Member

I use the debugger a lot and I wouldn't assume that it is running unless you confirm that it does. The GMS 2 debugger often 'goes to'/highlights the next line without running it after things like continue, breaks, false if statements. I'm not sure why, but this is a visual thing in the debugger not an actual running of your code.

Looking at the debugger that data structure still is size 0. But The simplest way would be to put a break point on that line. You could also put a show_debug_message there if you want.

5. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

I second show_debug_message, it's nice to get debug data in the background so you don't need to interrupt what you're doing constantly to see if it works as intended, but can check back after doing the entire thing.

6. TheouAegis

TheouAegis Member

Is this Studio 1 or 2? Just step to the next line if it's GMS2. But yeah, debug messages are often easier to sort through, since the console doesn't get cleared each step, meaning you can even spot patterns in bad code that seemingly works fine.

7. Chris Livermore

Chris Livermore Member

Hi Guys, thought I would let you all I know I was just being a noob and seeing it go to that line. Where infact it WAS NOT executing. Thanks for everyones replys!

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.