• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

[SOLVED] How to update a game NOT made in GM?

I

iconoclasta

Ok, the question is a little confusing, so I'll explain it better here:

I have a game published in Google Play. It was developed in Java+LibGDX on the Android Studio. So it already has its own key, generated on the Android Studio.

Now, I decided that I'd port the game to GMS. Reprogrammed it from scratch, but I had to generate a keystore for it.

My point is: Is there any way I can import the original Android Studio key to my GMS project so I can publish it as a new version for the game? I don't want to release it as a new product. It's a free game, but I don't want to lose the users that already have the previous version installed.

Cheers!

RangerX

I doubt you can basically import a java game into GameMaker. And you probably will not be able to swap your versions either.
What's I'd do is offer the newer game for free for past users.

S

SSJCoder

I doubt you can basically import a java game into GameMaker
I decided that I'd port the game to GMS. Reprogrammed it from scratch
I think he means he just wants to be able to update the game, but not using the original program that he used to make it (android studio). He wants to import the keystore from his Android Studio project into his GMS project

Last edited:
I

iconoclasta

@RangerX, like SSJCoder pointed I'm not importing the java game into Game Maker, but recreating the same game in GM (GMS Pro 1.4 + Android Module, forgot to mention).

I

iconoclasta

@SSJCoder exactly.The key generated by Android Studio doesn't even have the same extention as the one generated through GM so i'm clueless here.

RangerX

I still don't think you can swap the games. You need to basically make "new publication" for lack of a better wording.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
One idea if you still CAN update your original game would be to get an URL to your new game, then make an update to the original with a little notice telling people to switch over to the new version. (I'd call the game <your game name> plus or something along those lines so it seems like a better version, then add some extra content and polish so it offers something new, but not slap a 2 on it or such because that implies it's a lot different from the original)

I

iconoclasta

@RangerX Yes, that would be my final solution if nothing else works out.
@Samuel Venable did it yesterday, still waiting for the feedback...
@Yal I gave up developing for the Android Studio after the mess with different versions and mostly gradle issues. Every single time it updated (and it happened mostly once a day, because I was using the dev channel for the AS 3.0) I hado to manually fix a lot of stuff. So after a week I just gave up. Since I was already planning to dive into GM (for desktop games) I decided to first redo my mobile game to get used to it. TL:DR I believe I could use your suggestion but I'd be at the risk of thrashing my desktop in a burst of anger lol

Thx for the feedback everyone! Will keep looking for a solution before I give up!