• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM [SOLVED] How to find which tile at a position

S

Steneub

I would like to know what tile is at a given position.
Code:
if (mouse_check_button_released(mb_left)) {    
    //d is defined as depth of tiles
    var tile = tile_layer_find(d, mouse_x, mouse_y);    
    if (tile != -1) {        
        show_debug_message(string( tile_get_background(tile) ));
    }
}
This is helpful in finding the tile and which Background, but it doesn't give me enough information about the tile itself. I want to know which tile is being indexed here. If I have two tiles next to eachother which use, say, the grass tile, the tile value is unique between them.

When I click two adjacent positions that use the same tile from the same background asset, these values appear in my console:
Code:
Which I've discovered these values are what are generated sequentially in the order in which they were placed (starting with 10000000 apparently).

If I could even get the x and y offset into the background asset, that would still be helpful enough to do some simple math to determine which tile is at the position.

Any help would be appreciated.

S

Steneub

I'm continuing to dig, check this out
Code:
<tile bgName="tileset2" x="24" y="24" w="8" h="8" xo="0" yo="16" id="10000029" name="inst_D5885631" depth="1000000" locked="0" colour="4294967295" scaleX="1" scaleY="1"/>
This is pulled from the room file in a text editor.
  • x,y are for roomspace;
  • w,h are for the size of the tile; and
  • xo,yo are the offset where that tile is pulled from in the background asset source
If I could extract this xo and yo from the tile id, I might be well on my way to solving this problem

S

Steneub

After poring through the documentation again (for the nth time), I found what I was looking for! The not so intuitively named get_tile_left and get_tile_top

Together, these functions will return the offsets within the Background asset for the given tile. Here is my updated script to show how I'm doing this
Code:
if (mouse_check_button_released(mb_left)) {   
    var tile = tile_layer_find(d, mouse_x, mouse_y);   
    if (tile != -1) {       

var left = tile_get_left(tile) / TILE_SIZE;
        var top = tile_get_top(tile) / TILE_SIZE;      

show_debug_message("("+ string(left) + ", " +string(top) +")"); 
    }
}
I was able to figure out my problem and I'm trying to be responsible by showing the solution instead of fading into obscurity