• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker [SOLVED] How do you get rid of a collision box?

A

anthropus

Hi all. In my game, when an enemy dies, the body stays on the ground. I do this by having the last frame of the death sprite (which is just dead body lying there) stay there. But I noticed that the dead body lying there still has collision--its dead body can block projectiles and such, which I dont want.

What I want is for that last subimage (of the dead body laying there) to not have any collision, to basically be a sprite only and have no impact on any other objects. I'm not using mask for the sprite (just default collision box that game maker automatically applies) and I dont want to make an extra object for a "dead body" instance, and I'd like to keep it that way if possible. But I cant figure out how to "remove" a collision from a specific sub image.

Any help? Thanks.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
When it dies, change its mask_index to an empty sprite.
Code:
mask_index = spr_empty;
Or if you're handling collisions through code, then do what jb skaggs said: use a variable.

R

renex

The best course of action would be to create a different object for dead enemies - this way you don't have to filter out unnecessary interactions.

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
The best way would be to create a sprite element on a layer, since GMS 2 permits you to put sprites directly onto a layer without performance cost as intensive as when using instances. When the enemy instance has completed its death animation, destroy it and create a new sprite element at its position using layer_sprite_create. Store the element ID it returns in a local variable, then set its animation speed to 0 via layer_sprite_speed and its image index to the desired sub-image via layer_sprite_index. Then you won't have to worry about hundreds of useless instances affecting the game's performance.

A

anthropus

The best way would be to create a sprite element on a layer, since GMS 2 permits you to put sprites directly onto a layer without performance cost as intensive as when using instances. When the enemy instance has completed its death animation, destroy it and create a new sprite element at its position using layer_sprite_create. Store the element ID it returns in a local variable, then set its animation speed to 0 via layer_sprite_speed and its image index to the desired sub-image via layer_sprite_index. Then you won't have to worry about hundreds of useless instances affecting the game's performance.
i guess i gotta start checking whether it's a gms2 thread from now on :/
yea its gms 1

JackTurbo

Using surfaces for your backgrounds? If so you could always draw the dead sprite onto the background surface.

I kind of feel like this is one of those situations where there are many, many potential solutions and whats best will be dictated by how your game is set up.