GML SOLVED! How do I make a sprite stop animating at a certain subimage?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by anthropus, Mar 21, 2017.

1. anthropus

anthropus Guest

I SOLVEDIT!
    change this
    Code:
    //hold last frame
    if (image_index==5)
    {
    image_speed=0;
    }
    to this
    Code:
    //hold last frame
    if (image_index>=5 &&& <6)
    {
    image_speed=0;
    }
    apparently image index returns a real number, not an integer
    Hi all. Im using script-states (which are controlled by a switch statement) to control an object's sprites, behavior, etc, and all is pretty much working as I want it to atm, but im really struggling with making a sprite stop animating at a certain frame (subimage).

Basically, the last frame of a death animation has the character lying on the ground. So I want the death sprite animation to stop animating at that last frame [just to have a dead body laying there, which is later removed with an alarm with instance_destroy()]. But it seems no matter what code I try, the death sprite animation keeps looping (so the sprite and script-state are correct, but my "stop animation" code isnt working. Any help?

Here's the "Death" script-state
    *the "hold last frame" part of the code is what is not working at all*
    Code:
    //set sprite
    img_spd=.5;

sprite_index=sp_puny_death;
    image_speed=img_spd;

//hold last frame
    if (image_index==5)
    {
    image_speed=0;
    }

//remove instance
    if (alarm[1]=-1)
    {
    alarm[1]=2*room_speed;
    }

scr_collision_enemy();

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017
  2. SyntaxError

SyntaxError Member

Try,
    if image_index >= 5...

Actually, that probably wont work.

Instead use your own image index variable and manually increment it each step, checking it for if >= 5

Floating point errors...

3. anthropus

anthropus Guest

but the sub images do not match up 1:1 with the steps. for example, in 5 steps of "time" there may have passed only 1 sub image. right?

floating point errors? thats above my noob level lol what is that? does that mean that game maker is making errors?

4. TheLady

TheLady Guest

This is not a Game Maker error, it's a user error. A floating point basically means a decimal number, but the amount of numbers before/after the decimal is not a set amount. So, since image_index returns a Real, this is a decimal number and users tend to handle Reals (mistakenly) like an integer. You could try saying before your if statement:

var imageIndexRounded = floor(image_index);
    if (imageIndexRounded == 5)
    {
    image_speed = 0;
    }

I'm no Game Maker pro, but this should round whichever image index you are on down to an integer that you can check for. Hope this helps!

5. F_Clowder

F_Clowder Guest

I bumped into a useful animation resource on the Marketplace that deals with exactly your issue. I recommend you check out Animation Sequence.