[SOLVED] Help with Destroying a specific instance without destroying all in room

G

guitarmonkeys14

Hey everyone, I am currently making a scrolling 2D top down shooter and I am stuck. I have been using a combination of DnD and GML so any help is greatly appreciated.

I currently have the game set up to have random spawn points for my enemies. Basically boulders that are created out of view above the screen then scroll down the map with the ground. I then have an object spawn with the boulders that spawns the enemies. I already have the boulders set up to be destroyed when shot.

My problem is that I cant get only the specific spawn point to destroy when that specific boulder's hp is less than 0. All of the other spawners on the map go with it. I have also tried if_instance_exists but nothing has worked so far. any suggestions?

obj_ctrl_lvl_endless (Alarm event)

Code:
// Create Instance
obj_newboulder2 = instance_create_layer(random_range(3000,200), -1000, "Instances", obj_boulder2);

// Set Alarm Countdown
alarm_set(2, random_range(300,600));

// If Expression
if(instance_exists(obj_newboulder2))
{
   // Create Instance
   tempzombie1 = instance_create_layer(obj_newboulder2.x, obj_newboulder2.y-300, "Instances", obj_zombie1spawn);

// Set Alarm Countdown
   alarm_set(2, random_range(300,600));

// If Expression
   if(!(instance_exists(obj_newboulder2)))
   {
       // Destroy Instance
       with(temp) instance_destroy();
   }
}
obj_boulder (Collision with obj_laser)

Code:
// Assign Variable
hp += -34;

// Destroy Instance
with(other) instance_destroy();

// If Variable
if(hp <= 0)
{
   // Destroy Instance
   instance_destroy();

// Destroy Instance
   with(obj_zombie1spawn) instance_destroy();
}
obj_zombie1spawn

Code:
// Create Instance
instance_create_layer(x, y, "Instances", obj_zombie);

// Set Alarm Countdown
alarm_set(0, random_range(450,500));
Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you in advance

N

NeonBits

I wouldn't give me an headache; I would duplicate obj_spawner and make it obj_spawner1, 2, 3, etc.and do the same with the boulder; each boulder to its own respective spawner. Boring, I know, but I'm poor at coding and tired, meh.
So when boulder1 is destroyed, you can simply say "with (obj_spawner1){instance_destroy();}"

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Pass the boulder's instance ID to the spawn point when you create it.
Code:
//obj_ctrl_lvl_endless Alarm
inst_newboulder2 = instance_create_layer(random_range(3000,200), -1000, "Instances", obj_boulder2);
//...
tempzombie1 = instance_create_layer(obj_newboulder2.x, obj_newboulder2.y-300, "Instances", obj_zombie1spawn);
tempzombie1.inst_boulder = inst_newboulder2;
Then set up a default in the spawn point's Create event and check it in the Step event:
Code:
//Create event
inst_boulder = noone;
Code:
//Step event
if (inst_boulder != noone && (!instance_exists(inst_boulder) || inst_boulder.hp <= 0)) {
  instance_destroy();
}
Boring, I know, but I'm poor at coding and tired, meh.
Then perhaps you shouldn't be giving advice on it.

N

NeonBits

Meeooôôôwwwwww HIssss Hisssssssss...
I'm kidding : D
PUuUuuUuuuUUuuUUuRRrRRRrRRrRrRrRRrr
How's my favorite Neko >^.^< ?
Hey, maybe my suggestion is not from Einstein but it's better than advil.
You know, a purr was enough if you wanted me to "chat" with ya - .^

Last edited by a moderator:
G

guitarmonkeys14

Pass the boulder's instance ID to the spawn point when you create it.
Code:
//obj_ctrl_lvl_endless Alarm
inst_newboulder2 = instance_create_layer(random_range(3000,200), -1000, "Instances", obj_boulder2);
//...
tempzombie1.inst_boulder = inst_newboulder2;
Then set up a default in the spawn point's Create event and check it in the Step event:
Code:
//Create event
inst_boulder = noone;
Code:
//Step event
if (inst_boulder != noone && (!instance_exists(inst_boulder) || inst_boulder.hp <= 0)) {
  instance_destroy();
}
Worked even more beautifully than a charm. Exactly what I was looking for, THANK YOU THANK YOU!