[Solved]Graph A* Pathfinding?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Catastrophe, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Catastrophe

Catastrophe Member

So there's a bunch of A* libraries out there which is nice, but I was wondering if anyone has made/knows of one where you can manually set the neighbors yourself so it's less of a grid and more of a graph.

Specific problem: We're making a sideview spaceship with parts, and these parts have ceilings and floors which are part of the 50x50 pixel parts. Navigating through floors requires use of a ladder part. Using a conventional A* script would cause issues, since you should not be able to move between parts with a ceiling between them.

There is a last resort hack I can use: I could double the grid height, and put empty nodes in between ceilings/floors nodes, but this feels super hacky and involves hacks to skip nodes going up ladders, messes with the math when it comes to movement, and just feels dirty. I'll do it if necessary tho xD

Edit: Actually the hack doesn't seem so bad, but I was curious anyways since this does seem like it could be useful.

Edit: I should have looked a bit further -___-

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/5726/dijkstra-path-finding

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019