• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android [Solved]google play services can't login

Joh

[Solved Edit]
I solved things myself, there actually wasn't anything wrong! I just needed to update my phone.
No wonder nothing made sense. I don't know if this will help any one but I guess its worth noting that that the phone version can have such an impact.
I had other play services games working too! but this specific one didn't work until I updated my phone. (the phone itself, not the playstore nor play games version)
Just exposing this odd solution!
[Original Post]
Hello,

I am trying to get leaderboards working in my android game.
I followed the tutorial:
everything seems to be in order, but google play services simply doesn't allow me to login.
It starts up, launches the google play games and opens a "login page" that stays stuck in loading. Blank page with google color loading circle
pressing back allows me to choose account but it doesn't matter, all accounts stay stuck there.

Theres no debug info to help. It simply fails to login silently and thus I believe this is the formal login attempt which never reaches completion.
Silent sign in failed, attempting normal sign in.. Current Status 0.0 nothing else seems off

My accounts are testers
I have my sh1 key in the credential
- The one from GMS2
- the one google created (app signing - it was there automatically)
I'm in alpha (just to be safe) downloaded from store just as instructed
my app number was added to GM2
cloud is off
Just updated google play services (app)

I only have:
googleplayservicesextension (fresh install)
googleplayads (works fine)

the only thing suspicious is that in the google play services API there is no activity (although since I cant even login, maybe it cant know)

Any help would be appreciated, No idea what is wrong and its quite a bummer, playservices cant give me a break.
Thank you!

Last edited:

chirpy

Try upgrading your gradle dependencies to latest "play-services-games" and "play-services-auth".
It's under GooglePlayServicesExtension -> Extra Platforms -> Android -> Inject to Gradle dependencies.

Not guaranteed to work since YYG's GooglePlayServicesExtension (3.2.0) is not the most up-to-date extension on earth,
but what you described sounds like a Google Play Games sign in stuck issue that Google had resolved last year.
The latest manual sign-in flow included an installation prompt of Google Play Games in case the user didn't have GPG installed on the device.

Change
Code:
compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-games:16.0.0'
compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-auth:16.0.1'
to
Code:
implementation 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-games:21.0.0'
implementation 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-auth:19.0.0'
References:
https://developers.google.com/android/guides/setup
https://developers.google.com/android/guides/releases

Last edited:
Reactions: Joh

Joh

Try upgrading your gradle dependencies to latest "play-services-games" and "play-services-auth".
It's under GooglePlayServicesExtension -> Extra Platforms -> Android -> Inject to Gradle dependencies.

Not guaranteed to work since YYG's GooglePlayServicesExtension (3.2.0) is not the most up-to-date extension on earth,
but what you described sounds like a Google Play Games sign in stuck issue that Google had resolved last year.
The latest manual sign-in flow included an installation prompt of Google Play Games in case the user didn't have GPG installed on the device.

Change
Code:
compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-games:16.0.0'
compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-auth:16.0.1'
to
Code:
implementation 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-games:21.0.0'
implementation 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-auth:19.0.0'
References:
https://developers.google.com/android/guides/setup
https://developers.google.com/android/guides/releases
Hi thank you for the response. Unfortunately, it does not seem to remedy the situation. Nothing seems to have happened after the change.
this is especially weird as my older game (very out of date) still seems to be working.
Even the video in auto-test build (emulator) of google play showed that it at least reached the login/registration screen, so this is all very strange.