• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows (Solved) gms2 WILL NOT open projects to test run

E

Epic Fox

gms2 runner, and debug runner, will open, as in I can see them in the task manager, but when I try to view or interact with the window in any way, nothing happens. Here is a list of things I have tried to fix it.
- Using older runtime.
- Switching to newest runtime.
- Deleting the runtime folder in ProgramData
- changing the port the debugger uses.
- giving all gms2 related applications all permissions and giving them admin access.
- COMPLETELY REFORMATTING my pc and getting a whole new install of gms2.
- Giving my project to others, to run on their pc, it worked fin on theirs.
- Trying a blank project, same issue.
- Changing firewall and messing with my antivirus (Vipre)

Honestly, I ahve tried, literally, everything. I dont know what to do. I sent in a help ticket, and yoyo tech support wont email me back. Everyone on Discord is stumped. To be honest, im a little crushed. I want to work on my project and have been unable to for the last 4 days. Frankly, its starting to piss me off, considering I payed $99 for the game engine, I expect it to 💩💩💩💩ing work when I use it.

Sorry for my french.

If anyone has any ideas, PLEASE help me.

rIKmAN

Giving my project to others, to run on their pc, it worked fin on theirs.
Frankly, its starting to piss me off, considering I payed $99 for the game engine, I expect it to ****ing work when I use it.
As you've said yourself, it works for others when you send the project them - which points to the issue being something specific to your machine rather than GMS2 in general, otherwise it wouldn't work for anybody.
Changing firewall and messing with my antivirus (Vipre)
Rather than messing with them, try disabling them entirely - possibly even completely uninstalling.
Anti-virus and "Internet Protection" software often block legit software and cause problems like this as they block access to things (folders, ports, internet access etc) required by software to run - GMS2 in this case.

I've seen this a lot with many types of software and it's usually over-zealous system protection software that causes it.

E

Epic Fox

ill try disabling my firewall and antivirus

As you've said yourself, it works for others when you send the project them - which points to the issue being something specific to your machine rather than GMS2 in general, otherwise it wouldn't work for anybody.

Rather than messing with them, try disabling them entirely - possibly even completely uninstalling.
Anti-virus and "Internet Protection" software often block legit software and cause problems like this as they block access to things (folders, ports, internet access etc) required by software to run - GMS2 in this case.

I've seen this a lot with many types of software and it's usually over-zealous system protection software that causes it.
No, that didnt work either. I dont know what to do

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSpydog

Did GMS2 ever play games correctly on your PC? Can you post your computer specs? Have you made sure all your graphics drivers are updated?

rIKmAN

You also said you tried completely reformatting.

Have you made sure Windows is up to date via Windows Update?
Also are your drivers are all up to date?

Did you try running GMS2 on the updated fresh install before you installed all the antivirus and system protection stuff you mentioned?

E

Epic Fox

Did you try running GMS2 on the updated fresh install before you installed all the antivirus and system protection stuff you mentioned?[/QUOTE said:
HOLY 💩💩💩💩 THAT WORKED! Thank You! Oml im so happy.

rIKmAN

HOLY **** THAT WORKED! Thank You! Oml im so happy.
Like I said - overzealous antivirus and system protection software is usually the culprit.
As long as you aren't an idiot downloading and running random files from unknown sources "system protection" is not even needed and just bloats and slows down your computer.

I've been using just Windows Defender and Windows Firewall for years and never had any issues.

Glad you got it working anyway.

E

Epic Fox

Like I said - overzealous antivirus and system protection software is usually the culprit.
As long as you aren't an idiot downloading and running random files from unknown sources "system protection" is not even needed and just bloats and slows down your computer.

I've been using just Windows Defender and Windows Firewall for years and never had any issues.

Im generally pretty protective when it comes to my pc, givin in was like $800. lol. Thank you for your help!

Nvm its doing it again...

Dog Slobber

Check out the content of ui.log in \ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2 it might have some clues as to what's causing the problem

E

Epic Fox

Hmm. Something must have changed between it working and not working.

In the meantime, contact support and attach your ui.log.
I will. I put in a help ticket 3 days ago, and I still havent got a reply. Ill put in another one.

Have you reinstalled the AV and system protection stuff?
I had my previous project in a backup folder. After downloading it from google drive, the problem came back. But even in a new project, the problem still occurs. Idk if my old project has anything to do with it or not

rIKmAN

I will. I put in a help ticket 3 days ago, and I still havent got a reply. Ill put in another one.
Ah I didn't realise you'd already done it, in that case there's no need to put another one in - maybe make a new post on your existing one.
They do take ages to reply, I've had to wait months before now for a reply to tickets.

Have you tried uninstalling > reg clean > reboot > re-installing and trying to use it without loading your old project.
I doubt it would be that, but it'd rule it out at least.

E

Epic Fox

Ah I didn't realise you'd already done it, in that case there's no need to put another one in - maybe make a new post on your existing one.
They do take ages to reply, I've had to wait months before now for a reply to tickets.

Have you tried uninstalling > reg clean > reboot > re-installing and trying to use it without loading your old project.
Might as well give it a shot

That didnt help either. I dont understand why this crap always has to happen to me, lol

Dog Slobber

Since you had the occassion where you got it to work, which project(s) was it that worked?
Have you cleaned prior to running?
Are you able to end the game process with the IDE stop button?

I see that you have attempted four projects:
  • Test PRoject
  • Killing Floor
  • Asteroids
  • Test
Ensure all your virus and security software is disabled.
  • Create a brand new game with no objects and attempt to run it.
  • If it works, end game and try again.
  • Look to see if the runner process is still running with task manager
  • End process with task manager if it still is.

Exit Game Maker completely.

Try the same steps again with each of the above projects. We want to specifically determine if any of the above projects is responsible, and when your game project gets stuck, it's not leaving a process that is interfering with attempts to run new processes.

E

Epic Fox

Since you had the occassion where you got it to work, which project(s) was it that worked?

• Test PRoject
  • Killing Floor
  • Asteroids
  • Test

Try the same steps again with each of the above projects. We want to specifically determine if any of the above projects is responsible, and when your game project gets stuck, it's not leaving a process that is interfering with attempts to run new processes.
Pressing the stop button does stop the runner from running. The runner is running, as I can see it in the task manager. It just doesnt open on the desktop or on the taskbar.

• Test PRoject
  • Killing Floor
  • Asteroids
  • Test

Also apparently i dont have permission to change settings in the nvidia control panel now.....

rIKmAN

Also apparently i dont have permission to change settings in the nvidia control panel now.....
Well that sounds unrelated and more like you have a problem with your user account privileges or some protection software again - which could also explain the GMS2 problems.

Are you on an Admin account?

E

Epic Fox

Well that sounds unrelated and more like you have a problem with your user account privileges or some protection software again - which could also explain the GMS2 problems.

Yes, I am on an admin account. I fixed the control panel problem. I just don't know what gms2's problem is

E

Epic Fox

Ok, so I have been doing some testing, here is what I can gather as far as what exactly is going on.

1. The gms2 runner is the only program on my pc having this issue.
2. Its running, but it cannot display on the taskbar, or on the desktop. Only in the task manager (we established that earlier)
3. When I find a way to force open the gms2 runner inside the task manager, it opens the file location, but displays it as the runner on the taskbar (as in it is showing the runners icon), and in the task manager.

I hope this helps you come up with what exactly might be going on, or how to fix it.

E

Epic Fox

I solved it. I reverted back to runtime 189. Runtimes 200+ seem to be broke

E

Epic Fox

Add that info to the bug report you made, it might help support narrow down what could be causing it in later versions.
I did. I think the problem is likely specific to my system as well. Others are not having the same issue with the 203 runtime

rIKmAN

I did. I think the problem is likely specific to my system as well. Others are not having the same issue with the 203 runtime
Yeah I agree, and that's exactly what I said in post #2 right back at the start of this this thread. :)

Dog Slobber

A new runtime was released today, 2.1.4.212.

You may want to ive it a shot to see if it resolves your crashing problem.